Historical Where is it (Steam on the CNO&TP)

Started by jcmark4501, January 02, 2006, 05:11:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jcmark4501

Here are some photos of three mikados on the CNO&TP. Can you guess where they are? Just to make it easier, the tracks still run thru all of these areas.

Photo 1:

Photo 2:

Photo 3:

Have fun!

Knothead

What is that chute looking thing on top of those engines?

kbarnett

My guesses: Number 1 is Danville. Number 2 is ?. Number 3 is just north of the coal chutes at Stearns coming across Bridge Fork dam. Where was there a Capitol theatre except for maybe Frankfort, Ky?

jcmark4501

1. Danville
2. Onieda
3. Stearns

I must I am am extemely impressed on your answer KW.

As for the "chute" that is a Wimble Smoke Duct that was applied to CNO&TP engines. I am not 100% sure how it worked but, I believe it would be moved over the stack when entering a tunnel to direct the exhaust away from the tunnel lining.

kbarnett

I should have thought of Oneida in pic 2. I remember the old theatre building now. But what is an Ms-4 doing going throught the turnout to the O&W. I would think the O&W would put there SR pickups in the couple of west yard tracks. Send more pics!!!!!!!!

jcmark4501

All these pics came from "The Railfan Press" magazine and other than a far away shot of another MS-4 going over the New River what I sent is all the steam pics from the article on the CNO&TP.

Once I get the the office moved at work I will try to start doing more research on the CNO&TP.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk