N&W Class A 1218 (and 2 others)

Started by nsrlink, April 03, 2012, 09:42:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nsrlink

After reading this article in the System News, "Virginia Museum of Transportation assumes full ownership of 611 and 1218"   http://www.jreb.org/ns/index.php?topic=11895.msg0#new ...I got to wondering:  Three Class As, one of which was the 1218, were sold to Union Carbide in Charleston, WV for stationary boiler service.  From there, the 1218 went to the (old) VMT in Roanoke before being restored.  Anyone know what happened to the other two?  I assume they (eventually) got scrapped, (by Union Carbide?) but wondered if anything was salvaged off either of them or they were around when 1218 was restored by NS in the early 90s & used as parts engines.

Ponce de Leon

I understood the 1218 was the best of the three in terms of boiler condition. The other two were scrapped.
Ron Flanary

Badhorse79

Ya know if the power Ball would actually been won by me I would have done what ever I could do!  To get them 2 locos under steam again , I hate seeing something so wonderful sitting and looking like a trophy hanging on a wall .. but as it is nothing I can do but hope some day my great grand children will see them stomp the mains again

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk