The South(ern) Will Rise Again

Started by TonytheTiger, August 11, 2006, 06:41:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TonytheTiger

Here are a few of my photos from the 1980s.  First is at Chattanooga . . . .

Crew change
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=154688

A set of high nose GP50s
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=154689

And, in the heart of peanut country . . . .
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=154690

Rob Kitchen
Harrisburg, PA
Rob Kitchen
Harrisburg, PA

Michael Knight

Nice pics! I love seeing the Southern in the `80s, especially from TN!!!

By the way, I love your 1986 photo (on RP) of the 5176 & 5235 in Asheville. Those black numberboards sure look good! 8)

TonytheTiger

I really love Chattanooga from a railfan standpoint.  Been there a few times - even stayed in a railcar suite at the Choo-Choo Hilton once.  Someday I'll get back there.

I should probably start a list of all the great railfan locations between here and Disney World . . . .

[For me, a "Great" railfan location has lots of action, good accesibility from public locations, good light for most of the day, and lots of other things for the rest of the family to do while I "take train pictures".]
Rob Kitchen
Harrisburg, PA

Batman

the train with the 3 GP50`s was most likely Knoxville 182 .    it was half pigs and half freight.

NS 2557

I love the southern but the era that I would model would be about 5-10 years earlier in the early to mid 70's but the southern looks good in any era.
You cant spell garbage without GE

CSX = Chemical Spill Xperts

E.M. Bell

It's  always good to see a Southern thread on here...seems to brighten the place up! Great shots Rob!

Here are a couple of Southern shots from my archives that I dont think I have shared here before. Lots more of this stuff sitting around in the little yellow boxes waiting for the scanner...

Back in 1988, Southern GP50 #7007 leads Westbound train 112 out of the siding at Waddy Ky.

A Westbound train headed for Louisville leaves the CNO&TP mainline and enters the Louisville District at SJ. Tower, just North of Danville KY 1988

E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

Michael Knight

Quote from: "nsrayman"the train with the 3 GP50`s was most likely Knoxville 182 .    it was half pigs and half freight.

Knoxville 182, awesome!!!

Emmett, you're two from `88 look great!

:D

Michael Knight

The Southern 2616 is a true classic!!!  The times have surely changed since.

E.M. Bell

How about a 2500...

GP30 #2531 at Lexington Ky in 1990. My notes say this was shot at Lexington, but I somehow think its in Chattanooga for some reason.. I remember shooting a deadline chocked full of NS, Southern and N&W GP30's down there around that time..

Even better...and I Know this is in Chattanooga, down near CT Tower. SR FP7's ready to take an excursion train North in 1988.. I was 16 at the time..

And back when I was  15, FP7's lead the outbound 1987 derby train past the Lawrenceburg Ky Depot.. Nothing in that picture but the tracks exist today.

E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

Michael Knight

Southern units were in a class of their own!

Nice shots Emmett!!! :D

Michael Knight

Very nice shot of the 5093, Mike!!!

A veteran Southern/NS engineer, who works between Knox & Chatt, told me "That the 3200s & 5200s were the best engines Southern ever had."
Of course his referrence was to all of the Southern SD40-2s and GP38-2s. It's great to see many of these units still in service.

I really love seeing these units as they were on the Southern, or the early days of NS. Even after being painted in NS black, units that kept black numberboards - especially those with the "round style" of numbers looked awesome! I also thought the white numerboards with the "round style" looked great as well.  I hope y`all know what I'm trying describe with the numberboards, there was a "round stlye" and the "square stlye" that is popular today. Mike's shot of the 5093, has the "square" style black numberboards which I think look great too!!! :P

Batman

SD40-2

this one was in storage when photographed.   notice a headlite missing and it was in the company of retired GP30`s.     from 1990.

Michael Knight

Nice!!! A great example of the "round" style numberboards I was referring to earlier.

E.M. Bell

The GP50 was (imo) the best looking 2nd gen EMD to wear the tuxedo. Even when they where dirty, they had a certain class about them ..

The 7090 at the Ludlow Ky Engine House in 1987.

The 7016 leads a freshly horsified SD40-2 and another GP50 at Waddy Ky in 1989

E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

NS 2557

Michael Knight

Awesome!!! That shot is hard to beat!

E.M. Bell

Sweet shot there Mike.. a trio of GP50's doing what they did best!

Here is Southern GP35 #2713 in the Debutts Shop (Chatt) back in 1988. The 35's didnt last much longer..

E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

Batman

flying around the curve.   I was standing on the end of the old steel bridge that was there.   at one time there was a grade crossing here.

NS 2557

I'll take the southern tuxedo (clean or dirty) over the modern NS scheme any day. Southern !!!!!!!!!!! :D

Michael Knight

Cool pic, Emmett!!! Another awesome pic there too, Mike!!!

E.M. Bell

A pair of EMD cabs at the Debutts Shop. (as always, clicking on the little pics will get you big pics)

The Danville Ky Big hook..did all of Southerns Wreck cranes wear paint like this?

E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk