Main Menu

Athearn SD 40-2

Started by NSyorktown, October 02, 2008, 10:18:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NSyorktown

I just bought a birthday present for myself with some gift cash (birthday #53, if you are asking).

Anyway, I picked up a new engine for the layout!

This is the level of detail on the new HO-scale Athearn SD 40-2 . . . . right out of the box.

Note the detail of the hoses, the horns and antennas on top, the painted steps, and decals. 

Nice gift to myself!  RDS

Backyard

8)  8) Gee whiz, I remember doing one of these in the mid 90's from an Athearn green box engine with a cannon cab, SOU #3200.

And Everyone thought Horizon Hobbies would dissolve Athearn?

Post some "en-route" pics, with background scenery...all you wish!

The most interesting thing about the Southern Railway System locomotives to me was after all the short hood forward models I ran, the long hood forward aspect was a distinctive way to run locomotives, let alone the Tux!

Thanks Mr. NSyorktown, for your post!
Backyard/Allen

NSyorktown

Thanks!

I have a few parts (railings, etc.) to add before it hits the layout, but I'll get a few pics.

One thing that is nice, it has working headlights on both ends so running it long-hood forward will look perfectly natural.

Note: Older loco's in my  fleet only have a working light on the cab end, so running it backwards (so to speak) wasn't very "prototype".

RDS

WVsecondary

Its nice to finally see Athearn adding MU hoses. Never has made sense to me to make a model without them. I am waiting patiently for mine in the mail.

E.M. Bell

That is one of the better, maybe best, Athearn models I have ever seen. I have sat and nitpicked the details in your picture and find myself impressed. Throw in a little weathering and there ya go..  Did they do any other roadnames..Southern, N&W??

OK, one nitpick here, just one. Whats up with the horns..they are a bit out of scale. Thats gotta be the biggest set of P5's I have ever seen... 
E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

Backyard

8) This is the little more delicate than that five chime steam-ship horn on the Athearn model., with five trumpets pointed left A-end forward, five trumpets pointed to the right of this picture...

...Or this
Backyard/Allen

tarnett

My three units should be awaiting my arrival at the office on Monday.  It's nice to see that Athearn applied the air hoses and cut levers. I would really like to add the walkway tread but, in the past, have had a difficult time getting the tread flat. I'm all ears for any suggestions.

Regarding the horn, didn't Details West announce the proper P5 horn at the NMRA show a couple of months ago?  I wonder when it will hit the shelves.

Regards,

Todd

GAandFLA-RR

Quote from: NSyorktown on October 02, 2008, 10:18:15 PM
I just bought a birthday present for myself with some gift cash (birthday #53, if you are asking).

Anyway, I picked up a new engine for the layout!

This is the level of detail on the new HO-scale Athearn SD 40-2 . . . . right out of the box.

Note the detail of the hoses, the horns and antennas on top, the painted steps, and decals. 

Nice gift to myself!  RDS

I bought the Southern one recently.  Looks pretty darn good for being right out of the box. 

Can't wait when Athearn releases the SOU SD45 later in the month.  Looks like another motive power purchase real soon......

Jared

NS car inspector
Long live the G&F
LONG HOOD FORWARD FOREVER

tq-07fan

The last thing I needed is more locomotives for the model railroad. This locomotive pushes that rule, really more like a guideline.

I have a picture one number off from your model. What the heck it's close enough to compare. Picture was at Cleveland, TN July 25 2008.

Now a big question, because we have had so much trouble with running six axle Athearns, how well does it run and handle?

Michael Knight

I must agree with the comments above that these are amazing models!

They are super hard to find, however.

I had the 3218, unused and new in the box, but I just parted with it.

Conductor

Indeed, super hard to find.  I just saw that on ebay yesterday and put it on my watch list.
Conductor's posts represent the views of Conductor and are not representative of any carrier.

thpbears

I have not saw any for sale in a while at any shows or Ebay. If I knew that I would have bought a few more about a year ago.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk