A motley Jreb crew at Tenbridge...

Started by E.M. Bell, September 03, 2011, 11:30:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

E.M. Bell

Our Jreb "meet & Greet" at Tenbridge in Chattanooga went well this evening, with around 15 members in attendance. While the weather looked a little iffy for awhile, we where treated to some AWESOME storm light and NS ran a few trains for us. I think we where all burnt up and wore out from the extreme heat and a day of shooting.

It was great to finally meet a few of you, and hope everyone had a great time. Our members are spread over several states, so its nice to be able to get together for awhile and enjoy the company. 

here is the obligatory group photo from this evening, and one of NS 223 crossing the bridge with a nasty storm brewing in the background...you cant beat storm light!

E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

steveiez

Looks like a fun bunch of people! I wish I was there too.
Steve

E.M. Bell

Thanks again for all the great info that has been passed during the weekend, and it was great getting to meet and hang out with some of you.

Given the "extreme" weather that was forecast for the Chattanooga area, and the fact i had "to much fun" and blew my knee out again, we decided to come on back home late Sunday night. We had planned on staying until Monday afternoon and shooting the GA trip with the 6133, but now that I am reading the reports of flooding and wind damage down there, I think we made the right decision. The drive over Jelico Mountain on I-75 at 0200 this morning in a thunderstorm was not a lot of fun, but we made it..

Look for plenty of pics coming up here on JREB. I shot tons of stuff, and so did Carmon. We have a LOT of people pics as well, so if you where there, you just might be seeing your mug on here :)
E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

gbhill

I know my motly ol mug would fit in there. ;D I've always had an interest in rail but didn't realise chasing them would be so fun. I don't know much, but hanging around a few railfans here in the Piedmont region ya learn to ask questions fast. Look forward to seeing some great shots. That bridge is fantastic.

csx6900

Hey, I recognize that kid with the tripod!  ;D

We stuck around on Monday and chased the 6133.  Rain was pounding down from the time we got up until we left for home at 4 PM.  Flooding was everywhere.  Crews were getting flash flood warnings left and right.  I even heard train 126 get a 40 MPH speed restriction due to flooding all the way from Cleveland to Sevier Yard!  And that's not the half of it.  He was set to meet 15T at Tasso Siding, but when he arrived, he called up the dispatcher and said that they couldn't go in the siding because it was completely under water!  They couldn't even see the rail head!

TVRM didn't deal with the rain very well, either.  My dad and I had tickets for Monday and when we got there, just about everything was packed up.  Nobody was around to direct us to the trains because they were all taking shelter from the rain.  We walked up to the boarding spot for the Tunnel Turn (after we missed the Missionary Ridge Local by a minute) and the vestibule door was closed.  We yelled into the car for someone to come and open the door, but no one came.  Then the train just pulled out of the station!  No warning from anybody!  If we were stupid we could have hurt ourselves and sued the museum!  I know this isn't like the TVRM, but for $60, I was bitterly disappointed in our visit.  I understand that there is only so much they can do when it rains, but they should at least have some people on site to help out the visitors... even if it's something as simple as just boarding the train!

EDIT: Wow, where's my manners?  Forgot to say it was great to meet all of you as well!  Sorry to hear about having to go home early, Emit, but like you said, you didn't miss out on much with the rain.

-Evan
Owner and Administrator of RailSightings.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk