Some photos from the Keno area and beyond, south of Somerset, KY

Started by Bill Richardson, November 16, 2020, 10:26:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Richardson

In my discussion this morning ( in "General Discussion"), I mentioned that I had been out to the Keno area early this year.  I went by myself one day, and later on my hiking friend and I went to the area south of Keno, and worked our way up the map.  We had been south of there to check on a place or two for hiking, then went to some RR crossings on the way back and got a few photos.  I'll include some of them here, and some older ones.

The first photo was made from a crossing near the Keno Rd bridge.  After crossing the bridge, facing west, I turned left on the first gravel road on the left.  I think 4x4 is necessary for this road.  It goes back fairly level a short distance, then makes a sharp left and goes down a steep hill to the crossing.  The road continues on the other side of the tracks, and goes back to a creek.  It continues on the other side of the creek, but I haven't been back there.  A map version I have shows it going back to a main hollow and ending.  A 2016 map shows it as what I call a "ghost road".  I made photos from both sides of this RR crossing.  The bridge in the background is the Keno Rd bridge.

Second photo shows a crossing on FS-857 (Forest Service Rd).  This road goes to a creek named Copperas Fork.

Third photo was made from a bridge along FS-1154.

Fourth photo is from Dead Ox Hollow.

Fifth photo was made at the crossing on Dead Ox Hollow Rd in 2015.  My 2016 map, on GAIA, shows this as a ghost road, but I don't doubt that it is still a good gravel road.  A lot of FS roads area being shown as ghost roads.  Some are obsolete.

Sixth photo was made at Burnside, also in 2015.  The train had two NS engines and a CSX between them.  After I made some photos there, I headed toward Keno, and went to Cave Springs Rd, and out on the bridge over the tracks.  It is high.  That same train with the CSX engine came along soon after I got there, and I made 3 or 4 photos looking down on it, one of them being my 7th entry here.

Seventh photo made from Cave Springs Rd bridge, high over the tracks, facing south.

Eighth photo also made from Cave Springs Rd bridge, facing north that time.  Another train came along while I was there.

That's all for now.

NSyorktown

Nice pics, Bill!  That is a beautiful section of the "rathole" line.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk