Steam returns to the Louisville Southern Mainline in Kentucky

Started by E.M. Bell, September 15, 2015, 04:41:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

E.M. Bell

Over Labor Day weekend, steam returned to the old Louisville Southern mainline in Central Kentucky.  For the Second year in a row, the Bluegrass Railroad Museum (BGRM) hosted The Leviathan for Three days of trips over the portion of the LL branch (Former LS, Southern & Norfolk Southern )  that they operate in Woodford County.

While I had not made any plans to shoot these trips, I happened to catch them running a members train on Monday morning ( 09/07/15) while showing a friend from Georgia around my part of the state.  The engine was pointed East, making for some great morning shots.  It was great to see a little steam action in our area again, and the 63 really put on a show with the pair of ex CNJ commuter cars on the steep hills of the branch.  BGRM sold out almost every trip over the weekend, and lots of folks got to see her in action.  We only spent a hour or so with the engine, but came away with some great shots.

You can find the entire set at this link, if you care to take a look.  >>> http://www.pbase.com/kd4jsl/shorts15

09/07/15 

CP #63 charges up the steep grade near Milner, KY

I have only seen the Leviathan a couple of times, and don't recall it ever making much (if any) smoke, but after the engineer shut off during a photo run, the plume was very photogenic for a few seconds. 

Passing MP 6.LL at the West End of Milner.

The crew chats about the next move during a brief stop at Milner, KY

63 poses on a wooden bridge at Trackside Farm, just West of Versailles, KY
E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

steveiez

Steve

Matt L

Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk