NKP #765 visits upstate NY and a farewell look at 38T

Started by Matt L, August 16, 2015, 06:40:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt L

I had my oil checked last weekend and the Saturn was down 2 quarts. My mechanic asked me if I'd been drag racing. I replied, "No, this was much better. I chased a steam engine!"

Thanks to the Fort Wayne RR Historical Society and Norfolk Southern, NKP #765 led 2 excursion trips in my neck of the woods at the beginning of this month. Dubbed the Erie Limited in honor of the OPSuthern Tier Mainline's history, each trip ran from greater Buffalo to Corning and returned in the evening. What an adventure!

Let's look at Day #1. I set-up in a field near Dry Bridge Road in Alexander for my first stop:

Approaching the Route 961F overpass in Canaseraga:

Entering the NS yard at Gang Mills:

The train continued a few miles further into Corning. The train was turned on the wye at Baker Street Yard (which I didn't see) and refueled while the passengers got a tour of the famous Corning Glass Museum. Meanwhile, I got some gas and headed west to Letchworth State Park to catch the return trip.

NS/CP 38T arrived at Letchworth State Park while the excursion was refueling. This was a poignant moment for me on otherwise fun day. Although NS and CP will still have some interchange in greater Buffalo, most of it will move to Schenectady to avoid congestion. This means 38T (and its westbound counterpart 39T) will be abolished.  Here we see the train coming around the bend at west entrance of the park in Portage:

Finally, one of my railfan dreams is realized as NKP #765 leads the westbound excursion across the famous Letchworth Viaduct at Portage. I have wanted to see a steam locomotive here ever since my parents took me to the park in the late 1970s.

For the entire slide show of the first day, please visit:

http://s857.photobucket.com/user/Erielackawanna/slideshow/2015/Aug%202015/0801%20NS

All photos in this post and link were taken by me Saturday 8/1/2015 in upstate NY.

Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

Matt L

I also took a few shots on the 2nd day of the excursions, as well. There would have been more... but I realized theat I'd left my driver's license at home, so I had to go back for it! Oh well, I still caught the eastbound leg of the trip at letchworth Viaduct in Portage.

The domes were quite the sight at Portage. I think I saw the same Wabash car in Ohio a few months ago.

After retrieving my driver's license, I set up at spot some of you may recognize from previous photos- Silver Road in Bethany.  The westbound excrusio arrived there late in the afternoon:

A slide show of the 2nd day's sightings:

http://s857.photobucket.com/user/Erielackawanna/slideshow/2015/Aug%202015/0802%20NS

All photos in this post and the link were taken by me Sunday 8/2/2015 in upstate NY. Again, a special thanks goes out to the Fort Wayne RR Historical Society and Norfolk Southern for making these excursions happen!

P.S. I hope the folks in PA are ready for their turn with #765- i guarantee she is worth the chase!
Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

Bill Richardson

Interesting pictures Matt.  I saw #765 one time, in the early '90s, at Princeton, KY.  I made some photos, but nothing near as good as yours.

Matt L

Thank you for the kind words, Bill. I wanted to see #765 at Altoona 2 years ago... but a friend's wedding that weekend changed my plans. Oh well, good things come to those who wait! I hoep you do get to see #765soemday.

I also saw another blast from the past that weekend. NS #2579 is an ex-Conrail SD70. I spotted her at Bison Yard, which is an ex-Conrail facility.

Both photos in this post were taken by me Friday 7/31/2015 in Cheektowaga, NY. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk