A Day on the NS New Castle District

Started by E.M. Bell, August 13, 2015, 09:04:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

E.M. Bell

Back in the middle of July, I headed North to Indiana for the 765 trips that ran from Fort Wayne to Lafayette (pics of those trips to come soon).  I drove up from Kentucky on Friday 07/17 and decided to spend the day checking out the NS New Castle District, which runs between Fort Wayne and Cincinnati. 

This was new territory for me, but with the help of a few friends I had all the info I needed to follow the line. I was surprised at just how busy it was, and not bad on scenery either.  Even with the questionable weather, I did pretty good and look forward to getting back up there and spending more time in the future. 

You can check out my results from the day at this link  http://www.pbase.com/kd4jsl/nsnewcastle2015

07/17/15

"I dont think I am in Kentucky anymore"  NS 48D rolls through the soybean fields near Campbellstown, Ohio

A local waits in the clear, framed by the old PRR depot at Richmond, Indiana

Local L83 shoves off the branch and back to the main at New Castle, Indiana. There seemed to be no shortage of EMD's up that way!

A Southbound stack train passes through the "Concrete Valley" at Oakville, Indiana

Northbound Triplecrown 264 passes the elevators at Oakville as a light rain falls.

Late in the evening, a freshly loaded ethanol train leaves the plant at Bluffton, Indiana and heads for Fort Wayne
E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

NSyorktown

Appreciate the pics of "the flatlands of Indiana".  We have two seasons around here, "corn" and "no corn".

We do have some outstanding rail-fanning spots, and a whole host of model layouts you would enjoy.

Plan to head up this way more often, and let us know you are coming . . . we'll help enhance the photo opportunities.

RDS (Muncie, IN)

tcwright973

Very nice photos. I especially liked the shot framed at the old depot. Is the depot being used for anything these days?
Tom

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk