Southern 4501 on the N&W mainline in Va....worth the wait!

Started by E.M. Bell, July 09, 2015, 09:23:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

E.M. Bell

This has sure been a banner year for steam on the NS, with more engines and more trips than I ever thought would happen.  While all the hype seems to have been over the return of the 611 (which is great!), I have been waiting for my favorite to return to the mainline...Southern 4501!  There is nothing wrong with 765 or 611, but I have always been partial to the 4501 (and 630), and it sure is nice to have been able to now shoot both of them on the mainline again.

As soon as the Spring schedule came out, I KNEW that if I only made One trip this year, it would have have to be to Virgina to see the 4501 running across the Pulaski district (but luckily I am making way more than one trip this year)..  Gage  and myself left Kentucky around 0100 Friday morning 06/26 and headed East for the 5 hour drive to Brisol.  After fighting the rain and storms almost the whole way, we arrived in Bristol about daylight and then it was time to get our day started.  The rest of Friday was spend following the train to Radofrd, Va. and back, then to Bulls Gap TN on Saturday, and then back to Radofrd on Sunday.  The weather ran the gamut from sun to clouds and frog stranglers (and a couple of gully washers!) but we pressed on.

The 4501 put on a almost flawless performance, and at times was hard to keep up with.  Besides a couple of stops to inspect, they just kept on going and pretty much stayed on schedule. After all of the hard work the folks at TVRM have put in, it was great to see her out pulling passengers again, and well worth the time on the road to witness.  I finally have all of the keepers from those 3 days processed and up on Pbase if you care to take a look. This was the beginning of 6 days and about 2500 miles on the road,  stay tuned for my results from the 611 trips this past weekend as well!

To check out the entire set, follow the link >>>> http://www.pbase.com/kd4jsl/2015steam

"Moody Morning Delight" SOUTHERN 4501 brings her train by the N&W CPL's at CP Washington. . The clouds are thick and a light rain was falling (soon to be joined by a heavy dose of cinders)...perfect weather for steam! NS is in the process of lengthening the siding here, and these old signals are on short time...sure to be replaced when the project is completed. Glade Spring, VA 06/26/15

A gentle rain falls as SOUTHERN 4501 & 3170 climb the grade out of the Holston River (middle fork) Valley. Some folks might complain about the diesel...but not me. It was something to hear the 4501 working hard, accompanied by the sound of that SD40 in #8, both giving everything that had to keep the train at track speed...an auditory and visual sensation! Atkins, VA 06/26/15

The sun had finally decided to show up late in the  afternoon as 4501 tops over the big hill at remote  Gunton Park, Westbound on the N&W Pulaski District. Gunton Park, Va 06/26/15

4501 dusted the tin roof of the Lick Creek Baptist Church with cinders as she rushed down the valley Saturday morning. There is just something about an old church and steam that compliment each other...both offering religious experiences ..One for the Spirit and One for the Soul. Piney Flats, TN 06/27/15

4501 crosses the bridge over Peak Creek at Pulaski Sunday Morning, after dropping down the steep grade off of Draper Mountain. While waiting at this location, a Black Bear crossed the tracks about 500 feet or so from us (which is IN town)... Several of us saw it, but no one had a Tele on to get a pic. Pulaski, Virginia 06/28/15

4501 passes the signals at Schuleen on the East Side of Marion, Va 06/28/15

Peyton Gupton and Steve Forrest at Mohawk, TN

Michael Ridenhour, Paul Styles and a few others on a hillside at Wytheville,Va

E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

NSSpike

E.M great trip report / photos with an informative narrative as always. Looking forward to the Southern 4501's trip into Georgia in a few months! Also thanks for posting the photo with Steve Forrest in it. I was just thinking of him the other day. Last time I saw him was up in his Knoxville office several years ago in front of the screens. Less Otto I might add!  Again thanks for posting the run of the 4501!!!   
NSSpike
CDDX
MP680.6

E.M. Bell

Steve is a true old school Railroader, and One heck of a nice guy.  He rode with us on the Saturday trip, and we had a blast!
E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk