N&W 611 goes home to Roanoke, and I almost dont make it back home.

Started by E.M. Bell, June 05, 2015, 07:15:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

E.M. Bell

After hearing what the confirmed date was for the N&W 611 to make her triumphed trip home to Roanoke, I him-hawed around for a couple of weeks, trying to figure out if I wanted to go or not.   It had been 21 years since I had seen her hot and on the move, but I knew the crowds would be big (but I had NO idea how big) and that had me on the fence, as I don't really like crowds.  I finally decided to go at the last minute, and it would turn out to be a rough trip....but well worth the trouble. 

After making some plans to meet up with some buddies in Spencer Friday evening (May 29th), I headed out early that morning from home. About 4 hours into my trip, I was headed down the East side of Black Mountain in North Carolina when the explorer started handling bad and there was suddenly a horrific noise coming from somewhere underneath.  I fought it to stay on the road and finally got down to the Old Fort Exit and pulled off  to  take a look. After seeing no appearant cause of the problem, I decided to find a mechanic, who quickly diagnosed a burnt out wheel bearing.  About 30 mins later as he raised the explorer up on the lift to take a look, the bad wheel feel off....right in the floor...with only the brake lines holding it....I just about passed out right there.  The bearing had failed with NO prior warning, and took the spindle with it.  I must have had someone looking out for me that morning..I shudder to think what might have happened if that wheel had come off on the side of that mountain. 

Anyway..about 3 hours later I was back on the road a few hundred dollars poorer, but alive.  After a nice evening hanging out with a good group of folks around Spencer , it was off to the main event on Saturday.  I had expected crowds...but wow.  I have not seen that many folks out to watch a train since the UP 3985 ran the Santa Train on the CRR years ago. Every place we went...crowds..Thousands of people out to watch, and the vast majority not railfans either, just local folks. By the time the train neared Roanoke, it was almost overwhelming with every crossing, road and spot that you could see the tracks through the trees occupied.

When it was all over and done with, I had come away with 4 shots (3 of which had been planned in advance)  in the bag for the 1900 miles I drove, but yea...it was worth it! 

Here is what I got, and you can find all of these in full sized at this link, so be sure to check them out!  >>>>>>> http://www.pbase.com/kd4jsl/2015steam

Shined up and ready to go at Spencer Friday evening. 05/29/15

N&W 611 comes North under the old SOUTHERN signal bridge at Thomasville, NC Saturday morning. I had shot countless images of the 611 on the CNO&TP under the searchlights back in the 80s and 90s, and even though this spot had Tri-Lights, it still almost felt like home. The signal crews are hard at work in NC putting new signals up, and these to will soon just be a memory ....it was nice to get a scene like this One more time

Back in December of 1994 I never thought I would have the chance to ever see a hot steam locomotive on NS rails again...the fires had been dropped, upper management had changed and that seemed to be the end...but the fat gal had not yet sang her tune. Fast forward 21 years and we have the Southern 630 and 4501 back on the mainline, and now the N&W 611. It seemed almost like a dream to stand alongside the old Southern mainline in Ruffin, NC yesterday morning as the 611 pounded by us, hell bent for Roanoke. Its a great time to enjoy the sounds and the cinders, but dont forget the lessons of the past...DONT take what we have for granite this second time around, because nothing last forever, and that portly lady will be singing at some point in the future. 611 comes through downtown Ruffin, NC

N&W 611 leaves the cheering crowds in the town of Gretna, VA behind as she marches on towards Lynchburg and the home rails of the N&W

"Home" My last shot of the 611 from Saturday tells the story of the day, although I must admit I did not plan it that way. After searching and searching for a place not already populated by large crowds for One more shot, I found myself in the little town of Bonsack, Va just outside of Roanoke. It was not the most photogenic of places, and the crowd of local folks was thick (but I was the only One there that I knew!)..I was hot, tired, aggravated and decided to just park and watch the train go by before I started the long drive home...I had a few keepers anyway. It wasn't long before the crowd got thicker and thicker...young, old...from all walks of life, and not a railfan to be seen. I soon found my self in a polite "howdy do" conversation with a elderly gentleman. That Gentleman (a Mr. Purvis if I recall) told me that he had lived in the big white house there by the tracks for over 50 years, and that he had been employed as a pattern maker in the N&W Roanoke shops, and then had moved on to other RR shop jobs after "Those Dam Diesels put a lot of us out of work".. I spent over an hour talking (more listening on my part) to him and his wife and somewhere in there I realized I had found THE spot to be to watch the 611 come home. He was proud of his time with the N&W, proud of his family (some of which still work for NS). He and his wife stood up out of the lawn chairs as we heard the whistle, and the crowd started cheering and waving as the train passed, just as a few thousand other soon would be down in Roanoke. We often strive to keep those pesky crowds out of our shots, just focusing on the machine...but it took people to make the machine, to run it, to maintain it, and yes...to even mourn its passing. It took forward looking and hard working, dedicated people to make it live again..... Those were some mighty proud people to see the 611 back alive again and rolling through town....Mr. Purvis probably the proudest. I had no intention of even taking a picture when I got there....but I am sure glad I did...it was the best shot of the day. Bonsack, Va 05/30/15

E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

thpbears

Michael Knight

Great shots, EM, and great story too. It always amazes me how many people from the community come out when word spreads about a special train coming through. Having a camera and being near the tracks becomes normal rather than being looked at as suspicious.

Most importantly, glad you made it back safely. Timing and location worked in your favor, at least, since you found a mechanic to make the repair and get you back going. Maybe you should do some p.m and have the bearings replaced on the other side.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk