The Return of a Legend

Started by Ptrainman, June 03, 2015, 07:46:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ptrainman

Like many I was born to late to have been around to see the J, A, and 01 run in the 80s and 90s. With the change in management and end of the program in 94 we all said we would never see steam again. With the return of the 630 in 2012 we had steam again but it was still said the J and the A would never run again. Fast forward to May of 2014 and the J is moved from Roanoke to Spencer for restoration. What we all said would never happen is happening. I will admit I am a fan of the A and I never really cared for the J. But after all the hubbub of the fundraising and restoration and seeing her out from under the shed at Roanoke last year she started to grow on me. Fast forward a few more months to the first part of 2015 when the return to Roanoke and the excursions were announced. Anticipation and excitement grew and May 30th couldn't come fast enough. I had always heard stories of what it was like to be trackside with the A and J and how the 630 didn't even compare, and I was about to find out of those stories were right.

The full set of Hi-Res stuff can be found here: http://southernrailsphotography.smugmug.com/Trains/Steam-2015/49708424_rrczpJ

Getting a very early start on the 30th I headed for Spencer picking up a friend on the road and meeting up with a couple more people including Evan (csx6900) at Spencer. We headed for the Yadkin River to get spot before the crowds for to bad. The scheduled departure time was 745a but Amtrak 80 and 214 made sure that dint happen. Finally around 830a 957 called the signal at Five Row and was on the move. She was making short work of getting her train up to speed crossing the Yadkin as P88 peaks around the corner on the south end of the bridge.

After Yadkin we decided to head for Jamestown instead of Thomasville due to the crowds excepted at Thomasville. The old girl was rods to the ground as she marched north through Jamestown, NC past a large group of photographers

After some deliberation we decided to try for a shot in Reidsville that a couple of guy I know had scouted on the way down Friday and a very good shot it was. The J leans through the curves on the north end of Reidsville, NC past the Lucky Strike match factory as she edges ever closer to her home state. With no A tank nor tool car is sight this could easily have been anywhere on the N&W when the Js were in regular service on the Arrow and other N&W name trains.

After the train got to Lynchburg we grabbed some lunch and discussed out next shot. We decided on the west end of Bedford passing the CPLs. A spot not a lot of people know about and a decent shot. We had planned to get the train again before Roanoke but due to the massive amounts of people lining 460 to see the old girl return home it was not to be. But the one shot we did get on N&W rails was definitely worth not getting another. After running a clean stack through town to keep from coating the hoards with cinders, Cheri darkened the stack and Wick put the throttle on the ceiling as they came to our small group just west of the CP. One of the best smoke plumes I have seen from Saturday was the result. All those stories I had heard over the years were oh so true. It was a bone chilling experience to stand 20' from the tracks when she storms by at speed. Its something I will never forget and can't wait to do again next weekend.

Hope you enjoy,
Paul
NS Virginia Division Expert & Railfan
KK4KQX

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk