A former NS unit goes green, K&A action & a orange critter

Started by E.M. Bell, December 19, 2011, 07:30:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

E.M. Bell

I have been working on cleaning up a few odds and ends shots from the past few months, and came up with a few I though the group might enjoy.

First up is the first "new" engine built by the Knoxville Locomotive works (New in principal anyway). KLW unveiled their "Green" Eco-freindly KLW20B during the 630 trips in Knoxville back in November. It is a heavily modified former GP38,  G&O 2881/ex SOU 2881 and the (original) NS 2002. It has been re-powered with a MTU Series 4000 prime mover along with upgraded emissions controls and other modern gadgets and do-dads.

Larger versions of all of these are this link http://www.pbase.com/kd4jsl/shorts11

They sent this unit out with the 630 on the K&A branch, but it was just being towed and not used for power..more for show than anything I guess. It sounds like a industrial refrigeration unit when running, and I dont think it looks TO bad, considering what some of the other "Green Machines" look like. At least thing thing still looks like a locomotive!  KLW has a talented bunch of folks working there, and I hope they do well with this new product.

And while we are at it, a couple of random shots of the K&H RR we bagged while in Knoxville. First up, KXHR 1123 crosses the TN river at Knoxville, on the NS K&A branch. 11/11/11

and the 1123 again, shoving on the bottom of the NS passenger train with the SR 154 on the head end. Seen here passing the cemetery at Mount Olive TN (with a little photoshop hocus-pocus)

Last up, some manner of "Critter" leads a short cut of aluminum ingots on the Aloca plant railroad, which runs right next to the NS mainline at Alcoa TN. This thing snuck up on us while waiting for the 630 to pass by...I have no earthly idea what kind of engine that is.. Maybe our resident encyclopedia of less than main stream motive power can tell us what the heck it is (Adam, that would be you!)

E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

csx6900

Great shots, Emmett!

Mr. Starnes was telling us after the railfan day that the KLW20B will be testing on NS several months from now.  G&O is still tweaking it, but they expect to build more of them in the future.  I don't like the way it sounds, but Chris told us that the next batch will not have the flared radiators.  I think that helps the appearance a little.

I too have wondered what the heck type of locomotives ALCOA has.  I think they own a few SW switchers as well, but I've never seen them on the property.  If anyone has any insight on these engines, I would appreciate it!

-Evan
Owner and Administrator of RailSightings.com

Gumbo

The little orange critter is a Chattahoochee Locomotive Company PL15B:4RS rebuilt from a GP9 with MTU Detroit Diesel. It is one of the models in CLC's Process Locomotive line.

lwjabo

I remember the engine. They were gray and short hood but Southern changed it to high hood and even moved the console to the other side. They were made without dynamic braking.

csx6900

Thanks for the info, Gumbo!  I Googled that locomotive type and came up with a few interesting links.

This was the best of them:
http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=32382&start=15

Although the thread's a bit old (2007), it's very informative, especially for those of you interested in the tech details.

-Evan
Owner and Administrator of RailSightings.com

Gumbo

Kentucky & Indiana Terminal RR

What a neat catch, Gumbo beat me to it but that CLC unit is actually kinda cool looking I think. They always looked a little like sw 1000/1001/1500, with a little GE SL series flare on the long hood end to me anyway, I've never actually seen one in person, online only, but a neat catch, I'd like to hear that Detroit pulling her guts out with those ingots.
"The engineer in the old high cab his gold watch in his hand, looking at the waterglass and letting down the sand, rolling out on the old main line taking up the slack, gone today so they say but tomorrow he'll be back...."

Ptrainman

Nice shot EM. I agree with Adam that CLC unit is cool.

Paul
NS Virginia Division Expert & Railfan
KK4KQX

E.M. Bell

Thanks for the info guys...just another good use for an old EMD..they keep on ticking, even if reincarnated!
E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk