Consolation Prize--Heritage NYC NS-1066

Started by Bill Richardson, July 15, 2014, 09:38:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Richardson

I really wanted to see the DDA40X, but it was re-routed, so that was out.  For me, seeing an NS Heritage engine is almost as rare.  I found out the New York Central engine was headed this way.  The last word I got on it as of this morning, around 9:00 am I think, was that it was at Flat Rock around  04:30 am.  By the time I read that notice, I figured that train was long gone, so I thought no more of it.

I had planned on going to the Burnside/Tateville area this morning and spending some time around there.  I first went to Burnside, but saw nothing interesting there, so I went on to another place between Burnside and Tateville.   I saw two trains parked on the tracks just north of the Antioch Cut.  Both had black engines in the lead.  I drove closer and was greatly surprised at what I saw.  It was the NYC, just sitting there, idling.  I thought it was gone.  I pulled off and parked, and got out one of my digital cameras that I took today.  I figured I better hurry and get some photos before it took off.  As it turned out, it stayed a while.  I made 16 photos, from various angles.  A UP was hooked directly behind the NYC.  Got that, or part of it, in all photos.  With my computer, I cropped a couple of the broadside photos to isolate the NYC.  One of those is shown here.  I didn't get to see the super diesel, but the NYC Heritage stayed for a while, and I got to see that one instead.  That was good.

Matt L

Nice catch! Truth be told, I'd rather see the NYC unit than the DDA40X.
Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

Bill Richardson

Thanks Matt.   I had been wanting to see that particular unit, and make some pictures.  I finally got in the right place at the right time.  Maybe another one will come along soon.  That red one would be good.

NSMoWandS

Bill, here is a sort-of Consolation Prize... me on the front of 6922! DE Dan

Bill Richardson

Dan (I guess)--I looked on Wikipedia Commons the other night for a photo of one of those engines in the public domain, and found that very one, 6922.  I'd still like to see one for real some day. They are exceptional.  Also, I have yet to see a large steam engine.  JS_IN_KY, John, mentioned a 2-8-8-2 in that same museum in St. Louis, where the other DDA40X was, and said it might come this way.  That would be good.  You've probably seen that one too.  It would be nice if there was a big train museum/display yard not far from here.   I wish I had made pictures of steam locomotives long ago, when I had opportunities, when they were still in use, but didn't make any.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk