Visting Lambert's Point

Started by Fly Device, October 27, 2009, 10:08:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fly Device

I'm a few hours' drive from Norfolk and thought it might be worth the trip if it's possible to get a good vantage point on the Lambert's Point facility. Does anyone know of locations where yard, dumper, or pier operations can be viewed  reasonably well?

The facility looks staggering from the aerial photography in Google Earth. There's also a good 10 minute video about it here http://www.nscorp.com/nscportal/nscorp/Customers/Coal/.

Any other RR sites in Norfolk that are accessible and worth spectating?
- Matt
Trackside at 45.9, Piedmont Division

D300

I will let others comment on access, as it has been a few years since I was last there.

I find Norfolk a mixed area. Not scenic, except for the big drawbridges, where their are some good photo angles I have shot in the past.

FYI: if you are interested, Norfolk has a unique train control system in Norfolk, the dispatcher does not directly control signals in the city, that is done through two operators located in each of the drawbridges. In addition to opening and lowering the bridges, they have CTC control just like towers in the old days.

Only thing of urgent interest is the Commonwealth RR, a GW shortline in the Chesapeake area, is about to have its mainline relocated into the center of the I-664 interstate south of the bay. If you go before they make the change that might be your first stop.

tq-07fan

Another thing of interest in Norfolk right now is the construction of the Light Rail Line. Some sections are only graded and others have track and one section has cantenary up for testing and training on the first cars.

Jim

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk