Altoona PA

Started by Sabrestrainfan, September 01, 2009, 01:35:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sabrestrainfan

Is there a scrap yard for boxcars and other rolling stock next to Rose yard (where all of the stored boxcars are)? And if so, does a moderator know if or when NS will be taking out the stored boxcars in Buffalo Jct. Yard (Buffalo NY)?

E.M. Bell

Im not sure of a scrap yard, but there has always been a large amount of stored equipment there around the rose yard every time I have been around Altoona. Usually a lot of older oddball stuff. 
E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

Sabrestrainfan

yeah i've noticed that in the pictures from over there

krt11

I haven't heard of a scraper in Altoona there is a place that rebuilds cars there. a small place next to the museum.  PRR PC and Cr sent the cars to Holidaysburg  to be scraped.  For the last 40 yrs there has always been alot of old cars stored there. hope thats some help

Sabrestrainfan

yeah, it helps a little bit thanks, i just would like to know if NS is planning on taking out or bringing in more boxcars into Buffalo? b/c i could get a better Railfan spot if they get those boxcars outta here!

Sabrestrainfan

just an update: some of the boxcars have been removed from Buffalo Junction yard, i wonder if and when the rest will go and what NS has in store for the yard

ssw9662

I believe NS has been removing many of the stored cars from its system. Not sure whether they are being returned to service or cut up, but I believe all the ones removed from Altoona were sent for scrapping.

Sabrestrainfan

Quote from: ssw9662 on November 24, 2009, 06:41:24 PM
I believe NS has been removing many of the stored cars from its system. Not sure whether they are being returned to service or cut up, but I believe all the ones removed from Altoona were sent for scrapping.

okay thanks! maybe they were moved to B&P Yard just 1/4 mile away or wherever, im just glad theyre out of my grandma's neighborhood but i wonder what Buffalo Junction Yard will look like down the line...

Ptrainman

There was a picture on railpictures.com the other day of a line of ex-Conrail boxcars in Rose Yard. They were rusted and growed over with bushes. Don't have the link for the pic though, sorry.
NS Virginia Division Expert & Railfan
KK4KQX

Sabrestrainfan

i found it but the boxcars are mostly all gone now, both from Altoona and Buffalo Jct Yard

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk