any info on layoffs?

Started by diesel, February 13, 2009, 07:30:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

diesel

I am a newly employed repairman for harrisburg division, and am concerned about being laidoff. Does anyone hav e any info? They keep telling us don't worry but I don't believe it. I think they should offer buy outs for older guys and keep the fresh young guys.

High Speed Kurt

Hey man!

I am not affiliated with NS at all, I went through something similar at work. They offered early retirement first, most companies would do that. All you can do is do your job as best you can until we start recovering.

TB4JY

I doubt if  NS will do early retirement. 

The reason you are told not to worry and that you will keep you job is, NS doesn't want you to get hurt on purpose.  The way they look at it....  If you knew your days were numbered, you would be a liability. ;)

jcmark4501

Quote from: diesel on February 13, 2009, 07:30:19 PM
I am a newly employed repairman for harrisburg division, and am concerned about being laidoff. Does anyone hav e any info? They keep telling us don't worry but I don't believe it. I think they should offer buy outs for older guys and keep the fresh young guys.

What does a repairman do? You might be in a "safe" craft that is not effected by traffic levels.

Ernie1

It all depends on what you do. I work in the car department on the Pittsburgh division and everyone under me got cut while new guys in engine maintenance seem to besafe. Don't expect a buyout for old heads. It really burns me to see guys who could retire at anytime sit back and watch the young guys get cut.

Aaron

vabear

I assume you are a freight car repairer,Carmen.If your shop is doing program work look out.
Here at Shaffer's Crossing all program work has stopped.We have 15 layed off,maybe more to come.
As far as the older guy's,some are on a lot of medicene and can't pay for it if they retire,some
don't have anything else to do.

diesel

I am on line maintenance for mw&s. It is the equipment for track repair and maintenance.

Ernie1

More layoffs on the Pittsburgh division mechanical, myself included

rrman70

They have layed off all the ACT's on the Piedmont Division.

TB4JY

Quote from: Ernie1 on February 28, 2009, 08:32:52 AM

I sorry to hear that Ernie. :(  I wish you and the others the best of  luck.  Keep your eyes on the RRB web-site for possible openings at other places.  It doesn't matter what RR you work for.  Just try to stick with a RR for your retirement.  That is the end goal for all of us after all.  But do what you have to do.  Just keep that in mind. ;)

Ernie1

Quote from: Groundrelay on March 05, 2009, 06:23:20 AM
Quote from: Ernie1 on February 28, 2009, 08:32:52 AM

I sorry to hear that Ernie. :(  I wish you and the others the best of  luck.  Keep your eyes on the RRB web-site for possible openings at other places.  It doesn't matter what RR you work for.  Just try to stick with a RR for your retirement.  That is the end goal for all of us after all.  But do what you have to do.  Just keep that in mind. ;)

Yeah I'm applying for what ever I can right now, I have to find something, my kids are driving me insane, lol

nsman18

2009 doesnt look good either, at least here in ohio.I looked at projections here.Rail industry is expected to decline a little more by 3.4 percent.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk