Amtrak Piedmont hits tractor trailer in Harrisburg, NC

Started by mbgphoto79, February 05, 2009, 01:12:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mbgphoto79

The southbound Piedmont destroyed a JB Hunt tractor trailer stopped on the tracks Wednesday morning.  No injuries, thankfully.  The driver of the truck jumped out and was spared his life for sure!  The 1755 looks to be repairable.  Makes me uneasy as I have seen this train countless times and have listened to the engineer call signals as they pass Greensboro.  Photos from the Charlotte Observer are here-   http://www.charlotteobserver.com/galleries/gallery/515890.html

JCagle

They ran the 1755 dead on the tail end of the train last night with NS power leading. I stumbled across it on my way home from the office last night.
Here is a gallery with some shots from a news chopper.
http://www.wcnc.com/perl/common/slideshow/sspop.pl?recid=14412

The accident occured at Pharr Mill Road also know as Speedrail. It would be MP 361.3 on the Piedmont main for those keeping score.
Alpha Phi Psi - Tarheel Chapter

mbgphoto79

Quote from: NS Boxcar on February 06, 2009, 09:38:07 AM
The trailer's underframe was actually a container chassis.

You can really see that by how it pulled it out from under the container, just like a tablecloth under dishes. 

Jason, you said they had NS power on the head end I wonder what they were doing for HEP?  I'm surprised they didn't doublehead the other F59 with one of the GP40's Thursday morning to get another unit in Charlotte.

JCagle

I'm not sure what they did for HEP. I have not heard anything concerning that. I think they just had to deal with the situation since obviously they couldn't plan on hitting something. I do know they have ran NS power on the head end before when they have had mechanical problems ect in the past so they must have some way to deal with it. There were also reports of NC 1792 being in Hamlet last night on CSX. Another contact informed me that it has been sitting in Hamlet for a week to catch a ride to New York for servicing. It should be headed out on Q438 to Selkirk. Typically they service their own engines in Raleigh so there must be some major service that they can't handle or don't want to do in Raleigh. This missing engine may have had something to do with why they didn't double head down.

mbgphoto79

I was in Charlotte today and saw the 1797 and 1755 doubleheading on the 73.  I am assuming the 1755 was online and they were checking it out The 1755 was trailing and had a new nose cone and lights.  The conductor's side still had some deep scratches and dents, I guess it may remain that way for now. 

JCagle

They tend to take a while to get them painted back after they replace cosmetic defects.  I would think you are correct in saying that it may take a while to get the paint on. I have pictures of one of the units running with primer on it from several years ago.

mbgphoto79

stillbre

Apparently NCDOT is sending its F59s off for mid-life overhauls.  As back up power they are leasing a pair of F40s from a rail grinding outfit and an Amtrak F40.
Josh Blevins
Charlotte NC

mbgphoto79

Quote from: stillbre on March 20, 2009, 03:42:01 PM
Apparently NCDOT is sending its F59s off for mid-life overhauls.  As back up power they are leasing a pair of F40s from a rail grinding outfit and an Amtrak F40.

This should be interesting!  I heard that Amtrak is canceling the Sunday runs of the Piedmont and Carolinian?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk