ATCS research trip to Central Division

Started by nashvillen, April 10, 2006, 04:29:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nashvillen

On Friday May 5 and Saturday May 6 myself, Brandon Baxter, and Chris Wehman will be on the southern part of the Central Division from Oakdale to Somerset to do two primary things.  One, park at or near each CP to record ATCS data from passing trains to help decode the information given out by ATCS.  This data will make future expeditions to the Central Division more efficient in capturing everyone?s favorite prey.

Two, to record by video each train that passes in full.  This will help me in my modeling of the Central Division in N scale.

We also hope to capture by GPS most of the physical plant that we are at without trespassing using advanced technology.  We will be using GIS data and imagery with ArcGIS to locate and catalog items found at each CP.

Anyone who wants to stop by and say ?Hi!? we will be in a Ford Explorer with the four foot bed and have the usual accoutrements that rail fans carry.

We will be using both Ham and FRS radios.  I will post the frequencies as the weekend draws near.

Mike Curtis,
Modeling the Central Division in N Scale
on the J39.0 of CSX and loving the irony of
it all.

E.M. Bell

Mike,

Mark Landgraff was recently in this area doing the same thing you are planning. They wokred South from Danville all the way to Harriman JCt recording ATCS info. If you are a member of the ATCS yahoo group, look through the message archives and you should find a detailed listing of what they recorded down that way.  

Good luck, and let us know how your trip goes!
E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

nashvillen

E.M.

Brandon Baxter of our party is a member of that group and the data we are going to collect will fill in the holes Mark has in his data.  Brandon has quite a bit of experience dealing with this and knows where we need to go.

Thank you for the heads up!

nashvillen

An update on our trip.  We will be in the area from May 4th through the 5th.  Both Brandon and I have opportunities to make major points with our spouses for Friday evening and Saturday.  So, we are shifting our dates.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk