Tennessee Division ?

Started by ssmith1627, October 23, 2008, 12:06:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ssmith1627

I'm very new to all this so please forgive the obvious ignorance......

I found a spreadsheet listing some train #'s and it had tabs for all the different divisions and they do seem to mirror how this site is broken down.    I did see some other reference elsewhere to a Tenn. Div.   Is there such a thing ?

I work in international transportation and now I have a 3-year-old with an interest in trains.  Clearly there's a lot to learn on both fronts ! 

Many thanks,
Steve
Knoxville, TN

bsbaxter

There was a Tennessee Division up until about 2001.  It was then that the Tennessee and Kentucky Divisions were combined to form the Central Division.  There were a few lines that were in the TN or KY divisions that moved to divisions other than the Central, the Chattanooga-Memphis line, for example, went from the TN to the AL division.

In Knoxville, you'll find that the Central Division pretty much has you surrounded.  Closest other divisions would be the Piedmont in Ashville, the Virginia in Bristol; the Pocahontas in Big Stone Gap, the Georgia in Chattanooga, and the Alabama also in Chattanooga.

ssmith1627

Many thanks.   I live just across Rutledge Pike from the John Sevier yard.   Now that I'm paying more attention, I hope to get some good pics.  Obviously trains are going in and out of there all the time.

Is there anything that shows schedules for those trains ?   Another newbie question obviously.  I don't know what kind of schedule freight trains keep to but I'm curious to learn.   

Thanks for your time.

Steve

Michael Knight

Welcome to the board, Steve!  :)

To answer your questions, there are really no set times for trains to run. Some trains are planned to run on weekdays, a combination of days, or daily, and these trains usually operate within specified time range. However, this time range  can vary by several hours. Other trains operate as needed, and the times they operate are often sporadic.

There are no lists available that specify which locomotive, by unit-number, is assigned to each train. While many types of trains are pulled by specific types of locomotives, the actual unit-numbers of the locomotives are usually the result of chance.

ssmith1627

Thanks for the welcome and the basic information.  It's appreciated !

I assume there's nothing on the locomotive that would tell you this is the T09 train that you could then reference to know the destination, etc.   Not like you'd see with a commuter train or something that identifies it.  Correct ?

I'll keep reading and learning and trying to put the pieces together.   I'm sure these things will make more sense after I've been exposed to you guys a while. 

Steve

Michael Knight

Quote from: ssmith1627 on October 23, 2008, 04:09:02 PM
Thanks for the welcome and the basic information.  It's appreciated !

I assume there's nothing on the locomotive that would tell you this is the T09 train that you could then reference to know the destination, etc.   Not like you'd see with a commuter train or something that identifies it.  Correct ?

I'll keep reading and learning and trying to put the pieces together.   I'm sure these things will make more sense after I've been exposed to you guys a while. 

Steve

Steve, you're welcome! ;) You mentioned that you photograph trains, so please feel free to register for a free account on the JREB photo gallery.

No, there is no labels or other identifiers on locomotives that indicate the train ID. However, if you often see train T09, you'll soon become familiar with the type of power and cars that the train typically has. You just have to keep your eyes and ears open.

JCagle

The best way to tell what the a trains  symbol (train number) is and to know for sure is to have a scanner scanning the road frequency for the area that you are in. As long as there is a signal to be called somewhat near you you should hear  what the symbol is. Many times I will also use a note pad to jot down the locations of other trains that are coming my way when the dispatcher is talking to other crews.  In my area it is not uncommon for the dispatcher to  tell a train that several other trains will pass him at a signal before he gets the green. This information usually comes something like 119 were  gonna have a stop at haydock and you'll meet Amtrak and 338 there. Amtrak is just leaving the station and 338   will be about 10 mins behind him. I'll get you a signal  when he clears.

When I have information like that I know I have about 10 minutes after Amtrak to find a suitable place to shoot 338 if I am going to.
Alpha Phi Psi - Tarheel Chapter

Michael Knight

Steve, J.B. has given you some good advice. A good scanner is a must.  ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk