Blown Banner

Started by Michael Knight, July 06, 2008, 01:29:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Knight

News from Georgia reports that train 246, a Triple Crowne train, either ran through a banner or some other stop obstruction on the Central of Georgia last night.

ETA: Updated

TB4JY

Quote from: nsboxcar on July 06, 2008, 01:29:48 AM
News from Georgia reports that train 246, a newly added Triple Crowne train, either ran through a banner or some other stop obstruction on the Central of Georgia last night.

ETA: Updated

I haven't heard anything about that one yet.  But 246 is not a new train....  It's been around for a few years.  It goes from Jacksonville to Atlanta.  Once in Atlanta, it's trailers are cut in to 264.  Every now and then they will run it down the Central side instead of running it on the Southern side.  It depends on how much traffic we got on the southern I guess.

Michael Knight

While the train is not new, reportedly, the train was added last week as a regular run on the C of G--instead of the main. The crew involved is said to be out-of-service.  Best wishes for a fair investigation.

darkhorse2

ns and fair investigation do not go together. most likely the crew will be shown the door. its sad that they do this to employees.

peachfuzz

Yep, supposedly the trainmaster has video of crew asleep.  He had to radio to get the train stopped to remove banner.

246 now travels via the Griffin District to Industry Yard.  Yesterday, unit and bogie went on to Inman after dropping train at Industry Yard for the first time. 

Rumor has it, crew that now deadheads back to Macon will soon bring 139 back south.

Edit:

This was a dark territory banner check with the lit fusee about a mile ahead of the banner.

Michael Knight

Thanks for the info., Peach. I had heard that  a fusee was involved.

TB4JY

Quote from: peachfuzz on July 09, 2008, 01:13:06 PM
Yep, supposedly the trainmaster has video of crew asleep.  He had to radio to get the train stopped to remove banner.

This seems to be a common problem on the Griffin side.

Michael Knight

Quote from: TB4JY on July 09, 2008, 04:49:04 PM

Dark territory=less to watch for (no signals)...easier to fall asleep

I wonder if the absence of signals contributes to the problem. With signals, at least you have something to look for around every corner.

TB4JY

Quote from: nsboxcar on July 09, 2008, 05:39:16 PM
Quote from: TB4JY on July 09, 2008, 04:49:04 PM

I wonder if the absence of signals contributes to the problem. With signals, at least you have something to look for around every corner.

I would guess that is part of it.  I would also say that the biggest problem is the speed of the track.  I know the slower I go the sleepier I get.  I think we (traincrews) tend to think if I can close my eyes for a second, I'll only go a few feet (due to the speed)before I open them again.  Though that's a dangerous way of thinking.  1 second turns into 5.  5 turns into 20.  Next thing you know, your knocked the hell out and the boss is yelling at you on the radio to stop your train.

peachfuzz

[/quote]

That and the slow running.  There are a flock of  9, N-I-N-E mile per hour slow orders in place over there.  Try dragging 100 cars over a 9 mph slow order... 

GAandFLA-RR

[

Not only that and the slooow orders, but the rock n' roll of the mostly jointed rail on that side.  Like sitting in a huge cradle.......at least you can try to stay awake by counting the bark on those Georgia pines.

Several times I used to eat breakfast with the crew on G04 (Morrow local) in Jonesboro on my way back home from the dreaded CYO.  After ordering their food, they always made a comment about trying not to eat too much so they wouldn't get rocked to sleep on the way back to Griffin, ha ha!
Jared

NS car inspector
Long live the G&F
LONG HOOD FORWARD FOREVER

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk