what are the letter/number codes on NS engine cabs?

Started by trainskinner, July 10, 2007, 08:54:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trainskinner

hi,  i'm fairly new to train modeling and i'm not sure what the codes are below the numbers on the NS cabs (i'm also from BNSF country so i don't see many NS locos). right now i'm working on an sd40-2 hinose and i can't quite make out the letters ... i've noticed that most engines have different codes or letters... what do these mean and can i find out what code goes with a paticular engine? any help would be appreciated... i suppose if i knew what these were called to begin with i could have probably done a search... but alas...

thanks.   -mike

Hoydie17

They represent the railroad which that particular locomotive originated from.  I don't really know what their purpose is other than that identification.

You'll see symbols such as:

NW - Norfolk & Western
SOU - Southern Railway
CNO&TP - Cincinnatti, New Orleans & Texas Pacific
AGS - Alabama Great Southern Railroad
PRR - Pennsylvania Railroad

I'm sure there's others that I don't remember.

Sean
Α Φ Ψ  -  Old Dominion Chapter

"I'm not only the club president, I'm also a client."

CTT1(SW) Steven P. Daugherty, United States Navy - 1978 to 2007 - KIA, Baghdad, Iraq - You will not be forgotten.

Full Service

Those letters where the reporting marks of the Subsidiaries of the Southern Railway, and later on , the NS.  From what I have been told, there where placed on the engines for tax purposes.  Some of the marks and the roads are,

AGS   Alabama Great Southern

A&EC   Atlantic and East Carolina

Atl & E. Car    Atlantic and East Carolina

CofG   Central of Georgia

CG    Central of Georgia

CNO&TP   Cincinnati, New Orleans and Texas Pacific

CRN      Carolina and Northwestern

C&NW   Carolina and Northwestern

CR&N   Central of Georgia

G&F      Georgia and Florida

GN        Georgia Northern

GS&F   Georgia Southern and Florida

INT       Interstate

LASO    Louisiana Southern

LOP&G  Live Oak, Perry and Gulf

LOP&SG   Live Oak, Perry and South Georgia

NO             New Orleans Terminal

NS              original Norfolk Southern

NO&NE      New Orleans and Northeastern

S&A             Savannah and Atlanta

St.JRT         St. Johns River Terminal

SOU             Southern

TAG            Tennessee, Alabama and Georgia

TENN          Tennessee
WB

NSGP38HiHoods

If you go to   www.nsdash9.com  you will find the most curet roster of NS Motive Power, the specific number series associated with certain diesels and whether or not the diesels were High Hoods or not.  I just recently did up a couple of High Hood SD40-2's with the Cannon HH and they both turned out well.  Make sure you use the Dash 2 cab kit from Cannon as well.  They fit very well together.   The website is very useful..(Thank Chris Toth for the awesome work)..and wil provide you several pics to help you model NS locomotives. 

If you need some help on the kitbash, let me know and I will send you an article I have.

Craig

trainskinner

thanks for the help... i guess i should have mentioned i'm building a set of virtual or digital models for train simulator... i'm really hung up on making it prototypical...  thanks!    -mike

nscnotp1

Looking good on those digital prototypes. Let us know when you finish them up and maybe post them.

Hoydie17

Quote from: trainskinner on July 10, 2007, 10:40:33 PM
thanks for the help... i guess i should have mentioned i'm building a set of virtual or digital models for train simulator... i'm really hung up on making it prototypical...  thanks!    -mike

Is this for MSTS or TRAINZ? 

Wonder if they've made any new progress on Train Simulator X over at Microsoft.
Α Φ Ψ  -  Old Dominion Chapter

"I'm not only the club president, I'm also a client."

CTT1(SW) Steven P. Daugherty, United States Navy - 1978 to 2007 - KIA, Baghdad, Iraq - You will not be forgotten.

JCagle

I havn't heard any word on MSTS X but if they use the same type of scenery and options as in Slight Sim X then it will be a killer game.
Alpha Phi Psi - Tarheel Chapter

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk