3-step protection

Started by nscnotp1, February 13, 2007, 11:49:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nscnotp1

Could someone give us the meaning to a "3-step protection", I hear it a lot especially around movements of drop-offs and pick-ups.

Junior

3-step is what is needed to enter inbetwween equipement.  8 years ago when I hired we used to say "stepping in, line em knock em off" .  The definition of 3-step is what 3 steps the engineer has to perform before tainmen are allowed to enter the foul.  Engineer has to (1) center the reverser (2) apply suficent brakes (3) turn the generator field switch off.  These 3 steps are the safest precautions to prevent any movements while a trainman is the foul.  The term 3-step came from Conrail I believe.
Now for all the engine number crap being said over the radio is debatable.  I understand that gives positive communication but it can also cause a lot of radio chatter.  I have noticed in the last couple years that new hires are scared to talk over the radio when others are communicating 3 step information.  I have explained many times that if you are making a coupling your communication is just as important if not more important than thiers.  I have learned and try to explain that usally we are closer to our engine than they are and our radio will overide thiers allowing our engineer to hear us.  Now the plus side to the engine number being broadcast over the radio is that while out railfanning you get a better idea of what power you like to chase.

Later
Junior

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk