Class Lights

Started by lwjabo, April 30, 2014, 12:48:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lwjabo

When I started Atlanta to Chattanooga was pretty much automatic block. Some remote control to Austell and from Ooltewah to DeButts. The sidings at Brice, Atlanta Jct and Forrestville also were CTC. The sidings were dark. We ran a lot of green flags in those days. Business was heavy and it was simple to add a train to another schedule. We always ran more south bounds than north so more green running south. I have seen as many as 6 on 117 schedule. The normal trains south were 123, 143, 161, 117, 151, 171 and 229 plus the local. North was 144, 160, 124, 230, 150, 116 and 172. Trains like 140 ran almost ever day but would run on another trains schedule. The numbers could change at Rome. We got running orders at Austell gong north and Ooltewah south. At Rome in both directions. At DeButts and Inman it was just slow orders. We also had order stations at Cohutta, Shannon, Dalton, Rockmart and Dallas. They only operated during the week days except Dalton. When they completed CTC to Austell to Rome we stopped getting orders at Austell. They finally moved Rome to Forrestville. The stations at Cedartown and Cleveland also gave orders to trains originating there. Any questions?

chipallen16

It's actually cool to see a good account of operations from another era. What year was this?

-Chip  :)

Ponce de Leon

Quote from: lwjabo on April 30, 2014, 12:48:58 AM
When I started Atlanta to Chattanooga was pretty much automatic block. Some remote control to Austell and from Ooltewah to DeButts. The sidings at Brice, Atlanta Jct and Forrestville also were CTC. The sidings were dark. We ran a lot of green flags in those days. Business was heavy and it was simple to add a train to another schedule. We always ran more south bounds than north so more green running south. I have seen as many as 6 on 117 schedule. The normal trains south were 123, 143, 161, 117, 151, 171 and 229 plus the local. North was 144, 160, 124, 230, 150, 116 and 172. Trains like 140 ran almost ever day but would run on another trains schedule. The numbers could change at Rome. We got running orders at Austell gong north and Ooltewah south. At Rome in both directions. At DeButts and Inman it was just slow orders. We also had order stations at Cohutta, Shannon, Dalton, Rockmart and Dallas. They only operated during the week days except Dalton. When they completed CTC to Austell to Rome we stopped getting orders at Austell. They finally moved Rome to Forrestville. The stations at Cedartown and Cleveland also gave orders to trains originating there. Any questions?

No questions from me. That's the only way to railroad! All you really needed was a Clearance Form A, orders (optional, depending on the train and circumstances), a railroad-approved time piece compared to a Standard Clock before departure, and a current timetable. Highball!!
Ron Flanary

lwjabo

This was late 1971 and 72 before the recession. First train to go was 124 and then 161. Our tonnage point was Braswell which is south of Rome. They would put huge set outs for Rome or Forrestville on the head end of trains. Some times around 75 or more. Train 139 would also have set outs for Rome. Train 140 often had the north bound set offs for Rome. Almost ever car on 140 being empty so not heavy. The new Wye at Forrestville cut down on switching time for yard crews. The K line and some of the switching on the CG could pull out the wye and avoid the main line. The wye carried them to the K line. Main line crews then started running to Plant Hammond at Krannert and they cut yard crews. Things got pretty bad. The only reason I kept working was many old heads who retired. I was promoted in 76 and went on the local at Griffin. I was on it from 77 to early 82. Granted off and on. I would get rolled and then return when I got a chance. Plenty of work and that means OT. That line is gone now.

tah1015613

And the 200 series trains were trailer trains ?  Did you pick up enroute on trailer trains ?  What was the helper procedure at Braswell and what was used ?  This is interesting stuff !

lwjabo

There was no helper service at Braswell till almost 2000 and it was for the coal trains. The 200 series back then was also coal. Train 251 was the Arco that went to Milledgeville. Train 279 went to Krannert. Train 230 north and 229 south were the pig trains. Around 1976 they started running train 729 several days a week. It ran as backup for 229. It would be a couple of hours ahead of 229. I don't think I ever caught 729 and almost never caught 229.

Ponce de Leon

Quote from: lwjabo on May 01, 2014, 11:31:25 AM
There was no helper service at Braswell till almost 2000 and it was for the coal trains. The 200 series back then was also coal. Train 251 was the Arco that went to Milledgeville. Train 279 went to Krannert. Train 230 north and 229 south were the pig trains. Around 1976 they started running train 729 several days a week. It ran as backup for 229. It would be a couple of hours ahead of 229. I don't think I ever caught 729 and almost never caught 229.

They used to run 729 late in the week as the Knoxville section of 229. Other days, it was tacked onto the rear of 229 with a caboose separating the two halves of the train. At Oakdale, they just pulled the pin behind the middle caboose and 229 went on south, while power was added to the point of the rear of the train, and it departed for Knoxville, Asheville, etc. It met the Appalachia Division COMAR at Leadvale Jct. each day, where they were combined. Very interesting operation.
Ron Flanary

lwjabo

Quote from: tah1015613 on May 01, 2014, 09:47:03 AM
And the 200 series trains were trailer trains ?  Did you pick up enroute on trailer trains ?  What was the helper procedure at Braswell and what was used ?  This is interesting stuff !
I missed it the first time. Yes both 230 and 229 picked up at Dalton Pig Track. I'm not saying they never picked up any other place but it would not be normal. The Pusher at Rockmart used large SD or GE power. Normally just one unit. I understand that has changed and the pusher goes on duty at Forrestville? They couple to the rear at Smith and take to Oak just south of Dallas. That is the two mountains of Brice and Braswell.  Sorry for the delay.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk