AAr Channel assignments?

Started by T. Mahan, January 09, 2014, 06:51:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T. Mahan

Gang,

I'm looking for a list of the AAR channels and to what RR they are assigned.  I got a new radio for Christmas, instead of blankly programming the radio with AAR1, AAR2, etc...  I'd like to know what channels are assigned to RRs and origins for example:

AAR 08 - CSX - (Road - Chessie)
AAR 09 - NS - (Road Ch 2 - SR)
AAR 32 - CSX - (Road - SCL)
AAR 56 - NS - (Road - SR)

Of course NS seems to be the easiest.  I want to build a somewhat all inclusive, up to date list.  But before I spend hours to build it, would like to know if it's not already out there.

Thanks!
T.J. Mahan
Green Cove Springs, FL
www.facebook.com/tjm6515

JtBurKe

I got the attached file from somewhere online in an open use site, don't remember where, so I cannot take personal credit for it, but it lists everything but the origins, but I don't think it too hard to figure out.
Also if you need up to date info for CSX, this site is quite reliable: http://www.botecomm.com/bote/rail/csx_dispatchers.html#HA

-JT

Ptrainman

Lets see if I can be of any help to you. This is what I know of NS and CSX off the top of my head. It should be most all of the NS channels.

AAR 09 NS Ex-SOU Dispatcher to Train
AAR 48 NS Ex-SOU Train to Dispatcher
AAR 56 NS Ex-SOU Road
AAR 92 NS Ex-SOU Yard
AAR 61 NS Road 12 (Used on part of the Virginia Division and is CH 12 in the RR radios)
AAR 24 NS Radford to Bristol Road
AAR 72 NS Ex-N&W Road 1
AAR 22 NS Ex-N&W Road 2
AAR 76 NS Ex-N&W Yard
AAR 18 NS Pocahontas Division Road 1 (Iaeger to Williamson)
AAR 36 NS Pocahontas Division Road 2 (Bluefield to Iaeger)

AAR 32 CSX Ex-Seaboard Road 1
AAR 66 CSX Ex-Seaboard Road 2
AAR 84 CSX Ex-Seaboard Road 3
AAR 94 CSX Ex-Seaboard Dispatcher
AAR 96 CSX Ex-RF&P Road
AAR 20 CSX Ex-RF&P Dispatcher
AAR 08 CSX Ex-C&O Road
AAR 14 CSX Ex-C&O Dispatcher 1
AAR 20 CSX Ex-C&O Dispatcher 2

Like I said, Im sure this doesn't cover everything but that's how my radios are programmed and it should be a big chunk of what you need.

Paul
NS Virginia Division Expert & Railfan
KK4KQX

T. Mahan

Awesome, good list.  Plenty of stuff from the internet, but most is 7+ years old.  Shouldn't be many changes.  Once I get my list compiled, I'm going to build a file to use with CHIRP.  Most pre-built lists just have the AAR channel listed and what is displayed on my radio.  At this point I would like to build the list so instead of 'AAR8' on the radio display it would say something like 8CSXCS  (Channel 8, CSX, Chessie System) or 56NSSR ( Channel 56, NS, Southern).  I do a lot of travel (or used too), and would like to be more clued in where a radio channel is coming from if I hear transmissions when in unfamiliar territory.

I should just say the heck with it, upload all AAR channels and just print off a list to keep in my camera bag, but that would be too easy  ;)
T.J. Mahan
Green Cove Springs, FL
www.facebook.com/tjm6515

tcwright973

Maybe I'm confused or missing the point here, and that's a real possibility, but with only 100 channels available, isn't each channel going to be used by different railroads in different areas. In other words if Norfolk Southern uses 160.560 here in Western Pennsylvania, surely another railroad is using this frequency on the west coast and other parts of the country.
Tom

T. Mahan

Some channels, yes, but seems like it is as you said, more east/west separation and more so with shortlines and regionals, not so much for class 1s.  I was going to focus more on eastern US ops.
T.J. Mahan
Green Cove Springs, FL
www.facebook.com/tjm6515

D300

I will comment on this just a bit. I have always preferred to arrange my frequencies by geographical area. I always found it was better to scan 10 or 20 channels than 100. I have a freind that has all the AAR channels in his radio.

Pros geographic: faster scan time, less pickup of extraneous radio signals that bleed in from hospitals, pagers, etc.
Cons: every once in a while I find I didn't get them all my radio. But scanners and ham radios have a full scan function where  you can set the upper and lower limits (the AAR band) and scan them all. So this is a limited con.

Pros all: you got everything. All RR people and a lot of signs are in AAR speak, if a RR person tells you they are on 14, and you put 14 in channel 14 on the radio you got it.
Cons you have to spend a lot of time turning channels on and back off. If not slower scan times.

FYI: Some ham radio do not offer banks if not geographical arrangements is not possible.

T. Mahan

I'm still experimenting. My 15  year old radio shack scans 200 channels in the blink if an eye, the new Baofeng, not so fast.  With CHIRP reprogramming is a breeze. As you mentioned, I'm going geographical.  I have all FL are RR freqs programmed and scanning, and get bleed on some channels not used in the area.  I may have to trim it down to just NE FL.
T.J. Mahan
Green Cove Springs, FL
www.facebook.com/tjm6515

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk