question about the NS train that runs to UNC Chapel Hill

Started by mistertonee, August 31, 2012, 12:48:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mistertonee

hey, new to the site, i was wondering if any one knows about the NS train that runs to UNC Chapel Hill like train number, where the train starts from, all i know about it is it drops coal off at UNC Chapel Hill thanks.....

ARandall70

The symbol is P07, which is based out of Durham. It runs from Glenn, on the H-line, to Carrboro a few times a week. P07 also works industries along the H line. Seth Evans may know exactly what days if he sees this thread.  

In addition to the coal plant, NS serves a cement plant on the university spur from Carrboro to the plant. NS ownership  stops at Carrboro.

If you get to see the operation, its pretty neat. The runaround tail track only has room for one unit and the train rarely fits in the runaround. It's very much like a model railroad.  

I do have a video of P07 on my Youtube Page:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHd90gHDo6c&feature=plcp
Anthony Randall
Fuquay-Varina, NC
www.youtube.com/user/ARandall70

mistertonee

wow! thank you so much for the information, the track goes right by my job on millhouse rd off of eurbanks, NS have been working on the tracks the last few weeks, where is Glenn? I didnt realize NS came out of Durham, I was thinking more like Greensboro... from what I seen they mostly use Gp units but like a month ago I saw a much bigger locomotive which seem pretty odd....

mistertonee

Seth Evans

In response to Anthonys post and the original thread. P07 works the line but doesnt really have a schedule to when they do it. Glenn is rather simple to get to but there is no legal way to get to the junction itself. The work they have been doing is replacing all the grade crossings. The line is fairlly easy to follow or chase a train on as it is 10mph track and as Anthony said its a very interesting operation in Carboro and is super easy to get to and watch. As for a larger loco being on the line im not so sure of. I know the track is only good for four axle units but MOW may have some special instructions to run a single SD40-2 unit on it. If ya have any more questions bout the are shoot me a private message, id be happy to answer em for ya.

Seth Evans
Hilsborough NC/H41.3
When in doubt, notch it out

mistertonee

Quote from: Seth Evans on September 02, 2012, 07:08:24 PM
In response to Anthonys post and the original thread. P07 works the line but doesnt really have a schedule to when they do it. Glenn is rather simple to get to but there is no legal way to get to the junction itself. The work they have been doing is replacing all the grade crossings. The line is fairlly easy to follow or chase a train on as it is 10mph track and as Anthony said its a very interesting operation in Carboro and is super easy to get to and watch. As for a larger loco being on the line im not so sure of. I know the track is only good for four axle units but MOW may have some special instructions to run a single SD40-2 unit on it. If ya have any more questions bout the are shoot me a private message, id be happy to answer em for ya.

thank you so much for your response, it was great information...........
Seth Evans
Hilsborough NC/H41.3

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk