Bellevue Yard expansion?

Started by florida581, March 16, 2012, 01:40:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

florida581

While I was working on the NS symbol list, I couldn't help but notice how many road trains originate and terminate at Bellevue Yard...39.  In fact, it's second only to Elkhart Yard in terms of the number of total trains originating/terminating at an individual yard.  I'm not sure about total cars over the hump however.  Also, it's interesting to note that Bellevue Yard has the third smallest classification bowl on the NS system with 42 tracks.  The smallest is Allentown with a 29 track bowl, then Sheffield with a 32 track bowl.  A far cry from Elkhart's 72!  This hardly seems big enough to handle the volume of traffic it sees.  I know there's room to add an additional 40 tracks to the bowl.

I've heard from other sources that Bellevue Yard was being expanded, but I didn't hear what that all entails.  Are they adding tracks to the bowl?  Reception yard?  Departure Yard?

Can someone clue me in of what is being done there?  Thanks.

Andrew

rrman70

NS is going to massively expand Bellevue Yard starting this year and should be finished by early 2015. NS is spending $160 million, to put in 38 new class tracks, and a double hump. The hope is they can double the number of cars humped in a shift, right now 600-650. When finshed Bellevue will be the largest hump yard on the NS. There is a big write up on it in the March-April NS Biz news letter.

florida581

Very impressive!  If I was reading the article correctly, the new hump will be adjacent to the existing one (both in the westbound direction), in essence making an 80 track bowl.  Will the car repair shop remain in its current location, between the two bowls? 
Andrew

Batman

and straight to trainorders  ,  LOL

E.M. Bell

And not even a mention of Jreb to boot  :P

Quote from: Batman on April 11, 2012, 09:43:55 PM
and straight to trainorders  ,  LOL
E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

florida581

Oops!  Sorry bout that!   :-[  Should of gave you guys the credit for the heads up!  I made the change on trainorders giving you the credit! 
Andrew

nsrlink

If only they would spend some money on making things more fluid at Roanoke, the antiquated black hole of the system.  Not only are track changes needed, but an overhaul of the supervisors would be a big step in the right direction.  ::)  One track through that terminal where you can run above 10mph, fueling through trains & swapping power out on said track,  Just sayin'  ::)

Ptrainman

Quote from: nsrlink on April 12, 2012, 09:49:57 AM
but an overhaul of the supervisors would be a big step in the right direction.
Amen to that one.

Paul
NS Virginia Division Expert & Railfan
KK4KQX

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk