What is train S93?

Started by csx6900, December 21, 2011, 11:37:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

csx6900

Hi all-

Last Sunday my uncle, father and I were out railfanning on the Rathole between Rockwood and Sunbright.  When we were searching in vain for access to the tunnels at Nemo, I heard train S93 (who had apparently been tied down in the siding at Waters) get permission to proceed south from the dispatcher.  He headed to Chattanooga.  I never saw him, but what kind of train would this have been?  When do train symbols begin with an S?

-Thanks in advance,
Evan
Owner and Administrator of RailSightings.com

Ns Railfan

It should have been an extra section of a 793 coal train, they usually tie down empty coal trains that service the Kingston TN TVA plant there if there are no crews avaliable. S symbols are extra or extra sections of coal trains or empty coal trains.

csx6900

Thanks, Jacob.  I thought that extra section 700-series trains were Q trains though?

-Evan

Michael Knight

Quote from: csx6900 on December 21, 2011, 01:40:28 PM
Thanks, Jacob.  I thought that extra section 700-series trains were Q trains though?

-Evan

You are correct. Extra sections of 800-series trains are prefixed with an "S."

However, NS tends to make up generic symbols for extra empty coal trains as needed, which may be the case here.

csx6900

That makes more sense.  I recall the train crew asking the dispatcher if he had them symboled as S93 or 893.  That answers some questions then I guess.  Thanks guys!

-Evan

butch

You mentioned in your original post looking for Nemo tunnel access.

From US 27 in Wartburg, follow the signs to Catoosa Road.  Look for the signs to the Obed Wild and Scenic River which joins the Emory River just up from Nemo-that will be the correct road. 

For access, there is a lane near the bottom of the hill that turns left just before you get to the river that will lead around to the south side of Tunnel 24.  I have seen folks drive through the old tunnel 24, but the water was really deep the last time I was there. 

For the north end of T24, old T23, and the bridge across from T22, the 4-wheel drive drive trail that is directly across from the other lane is about a 15 minute walk to trackside.  You can park at the picnic area at the base of the bridge over the river. 
Butch Adkins

Railroad Tunnel hunting in Kentucky

csx6900

Wow, now I feel stupid.  We spent at least 15 minutes walking through the woods from the radio base tower looking for a way down.  Missed 3 trains in the process.  All we had to do was drive a little further down the road!  Well, now I know for next time.  Thanks for the info!

-Evan

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk