Railfanning

Started by thpbears, November 21, 2011, 10:46:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thpbears

I would agree about the excitement of just a train rolling by. My soon to be eight year old (Trainmaster) and I usrally railfan NS but if a CSX rolls past we don't mind. To see the excitement on his face is worth the wait trackside. Even at soon to be 40 I still find it simply mindboggling how two or three engines can pull all that coal and the cars stay on the track. It is a engineering feat without a doubt.

MotoLinz

Quote from: thpbears on November 21, 2011, 10:46:35 AM
I would agree about the excitement of just a train rolling by. My soon to be eight year old (Trainmaster) and I usrally railfan NS but if a CSX rolls past we don't mind. To see the excitement on his face is worth the weight trackside.
Indeed. Almost daily, my sons (ages 4 and 2) want to trawl for trains along the NS Knoxville-Chattanooga main in Farragut, and, almost daily, we see regular 'ol NS freight. At first, it bored me to tears. I would honestly sit in my car and pick at split ends while the trains rolled by.  ...and then I realized that my boys were excited to see *anything* - any train was amazing to them - and it made me feel like a really crusty old schmuck to think, "Oh, well...it's just another coal train." Maybe we'd all be better to rewind a bit and remember the most basic joys.

thpbears

Well said Moto. The ole times is what built this country. For us to stay in front we must never forget how we got here.

fireball451

Intermodals don't really do much for me.
I watch the head end and first  few cars.
Rest of the trains, I watch to the end.
Mostly facinated with the motive power.
Like getting to see DPUs in use.
A set of EMDs and a mixed freight can't be beat......
Unless there is a steamer running!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk