21st Century Steam

Started by fireball451, August 17, 2011, 04:16:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fireball451

NS's 21st Century Steam page is up and running!

www.21stcenturysteam.com

JS_IN_KY

In a Yahoo I subscribe to someone posted that NS is supposed to make a major announcement about their steam program Friday (8-19-2011).
John

beal99

Ponce de Leon

Nice idea, but I would be very surprised if they decided to steam 611 again. As discussed by Emmitt and others here, I think this basically revolves around empowering TVRM as the "hub" of steam activity. That would mean 4501 is next.

I also think this will revert to the original "small engine" concept that launched the SOUTHERN steam program back in the '60s. It evolved over time into a predominantly N&W affair after the creation of NS (nothing wrong with that, either---as 611 and 1218 were wonderful to ride behind, on, or chase). In the end, it was completely tuscan red with Roanoke-built steam locomotives, and the Southern's legacy was confined to a few well-remembered SR passenger train names painted on the sides of a few rebuilt and repainted ex-SR streamlined coaches.

This time, it won't be about hauling a long train of NRHS-types on an all-day trip, but more like the UP steam program----which will focus on customers of the company, and its employees. If the rest of us end up just chasing and photographing the likes of 630 and (later) 4501, that's certainly fine by me. It certainly beats the alternative of nothing at all. And, if there's diesel assistance involved, I'll accept that as well. Most of us are like Jimmy Swaggart---we just like to watch.

RF
Ron Flanary

Full Service

The official confirmation should come tomorrow, but the official rumor that is to be confirmed by this confirmation is that there will be a mainline steam trip, pulled by the Southern 630, Labor day weekend during the Chattanooga Museums 50th birthday celebration.

No details on what day or what way, but word around the sandhouse is that it will happen. 
WB

csx6900

Awesome!  I have plans to be in Chattanooga on Labor Day weekend so this will definitely be a highlight of the trip!

-Evan
Owner and Administrator of RailSightings.com

E.M. Bell

E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

mbgphoto79

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk