newbie n.s. conductor (princeton, in) going to school: have some questions

Started by wpbrink, July 12, 2011, 03:22:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wpbrink

getting ready to attend the 3 weeks of schooling and i was wanting to know if anyone had any tips for doing well on the tests.....i'm a little nervous.....i went to the practice test site already for the signals and i flunked it big time.....wanting to know where i can go to understand the signals and why they call them what they do.....are the signal tests really hard?    finally does anyone know of any links where i can prestudy some of the material they will be teaching us (everything)? 

csx6900

There are several sources available for signal indications, but if you're actually going to school for a conductor's position, you will have to learn a lot more than signals.  Rules, track authorities, and tons more knowledge is involved.  But as far as your inquiry goes, just Google "norfolk southern signal aspects" or something of the like.

From what I've learned, every signal system (whether it be CSX, NS, BNSF, etc) has a pattern.  The logic is simple if you think about it.  Green over red means you're clear straight through a switch (in most cases), and red over green means you're clear through the diverging track of the switch.  Of course, green can be replaced with yellow in which case the meanings change... but there are too many signal indications to list.  I hope this helps.

-Evan
Owner and Administrator of RailSightings.com

Ponce de Leon

Signals come in two basic formats: speed and route. NS tends to use route signals while CSX prefers speed. In route signals, the top signal gives you info on the track you're on. The next one down gives you info on the diverging track ahead. The third signal sometimes give you info on the track that diverges beyond that.....but not always. A red on top, green on the bottom, for example tells you you're through with the track you're on, but the green says you're clear to the diverging route. Hence, "Diverging Route Clear." There are, of course, also maximum speeds for the various signals.

CSX and other roads merely use signals to denote speed. A red over lunar, for example, is a Restricting signal, but it implies you'll go to the diverging route (usually an unsignalled siding), but at restrictive speed.

There's a logic that eventually sinks in----but it's not always apparent at first.

I had to attend two weeks of brakeman school when I was a management trainee in 1970----obviously in case you had to work strike duty. On the last day before our final test, they took us to the shops at Ludlow. They ran a GP9 back and forth, where we practiced getting on and off moving equipment. Of course, that's taboo these days! There was a technique to all that, and you had to master it----otherwise you'd fall on your butt, get injured, or worse---be killed.

Ron Flanary
Ron Flanary

lwjabo

You are getting ahead of your self. At school they will start you slow and move to other things you need to know. They will test you but you are just starting so will all the others in the class. From what I'm told the first time is a bit easy. They will send you to the job with some basic understanding of what is happening. After a few days on the job much of what they teach you at school will fall into place. When you get on the job and work with a regular Conductor don't be afraid to ask questions. When I had trainees I would give them short test all the time. This was oral. Like how many tracks in a yard and so on. After seeing the signals I would ask what that last signal meant. Take notes. I don't know much about Princeton but the yards there are smaller than on some districts. You will get info packs on industry's ( and other tracks) on your seniority. Don't push your self on this at first. That is something you will need to know when they mark you up. So that will be one of the last things you will have to learn. I hope you like working on the rails. It can be hard at first but it becomes easier with time. No one knows it all. Some like to think they do. Best of Luck to you and keep us informed on what you are doing. When you finish a job. Sit and go over what you did and why. After switching a industry think about what you did and then talk to your Conductor about it. Some forget what it was like to be new. You will never forget those who helped you the most.

Conductor

It sounds like you don't have any of your materials yet.  The signals you seem worried about are in the Operating Rules starting around rule 300 or so.  Pretty much everything else is in that big gray book as well.  And the thing of it is, if you let the signals overwhelm you, all the other things they try to teach you will be overwhelming too.  Don't look into that rule book too much before you get down there.  You'll probably have a meeting with your supervisor one more time and he will get you everything you need.
Conductor's posts represent the views of Conductor and are not representative of any carrier.

rrman70

One other thing about the signals is you only have to learn the ones from the part of the rr you will operate on (Southern, NW, Conrail).

Ponce de Leon

...Different names for the same thing:
NS: R/G = Diverging Clear
CSX: R/G = Medium Clear

They both mean the same thing, take diverging route, however CSX throws in "at medium speed" through turnout or switches, whereas NS that info is not. Note, diverging route could be a turnout, crossover, entering or leaving a siding, leaving a yard track onto the main, etc....

The NS signals are route signals, while CSX signal are speed signals. They mean the same thing, but route for CSX is implied by the signal colors and positions, not by the name for the signal indication.

I much prefer NS's rules....

RF
Ron Flanary

lwjabo

One thing you have to remember is the field signals all have number boards (and where they are) and they are not positive signals. Still that will come to you in time. You are not going to know ever speed on ever curve. Just remember the turn out speeds and siding speeds at first. These number boards will also tell you a bit about the signal. They want be at electric switches. When you get on the job they will more than likely give you some diagrams of where ever thing is. They were even giving instruction how to drive a car to these places in Atlanta. So you will have a note book of extra stuff when you go to your first job. Best thing I can say on the first day of work is don't try to remember it all at once. You want and no one else will. In fact the Conductor you work your first trip with might not have been marked up but a few months. I asked my trainmast why he put these people training with some of the newest ones out there. He told me they though the old Conductors did not want to bother with them. I said you never asked me so don't assume that. I had the trainee doing it all in a few days. Granted I was telling him each move but most liked it. I was get old and tired so made it easy for me. Some times it good to stand back and watch but you need the experience also.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk