Rail grinder gone wild

Started by steveiez, July 07, 2011, 10:32:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steveiez

Last week the rail grinder came thru Glenfield Pa which is near the end of the Ft Wayne Line.

The next morning many of us noticed our cars were covered with rail dust that has penetrated our paint. It will not wash off. A body shop said a clay bar will buff it out.

Anyone ever heard of this happening elsewhere?
Steve

E.M. Bell

I have never heard of that happening, but I can believe it! A few years ago, I had a lens almost ruined by the same "dust" you are talking about, while shooting a grinder...and I wasn't even all that close

Those fine little particles of rail that thing kicks up are almost a molten state, and cover and stick to about anything they touch.
E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

Ptrainman

Buffing compound, a buffer and some wax might take them out, if it did not go through the clear coat. If it did your screwed, unless your reclear the car. I don't think a clay bar will take it out though.

Paul
NS Virginia Division Expert & Railfan
KK4KQX

steveiez

N/S says to file a claim. Talk can be cheap...we shall see if they do.
Steve

tq-07fan

When I worked on the Sperry car I used to ask this guy who had worked on the rail grinders if the grinding dust affected his brain. "So Corry, I always hear that grinding dust gets in your head and affects your brain, how has it affected your brain?" You know that sort of question. The bad thing is I asked every time I saw him, and since we worked on the same 60 foot Sperry car it was dozens of times a day and I kept on asking until he finally cracked.

I have heard that the constant breathing of the grinding dust really does affect people.

Jim

Ptrainman

Quote from: troy12n on July 09, 2011, 12:45:30 AM
You get rail dust on new vehicles shipped by rail too.
It may be rail dust, but not the molten slag that the grinder slings out.

Paul
NS Virginia Division Expert & Railfan
KK4KQX

lwjabo

Before air was put on the engines the dust would come into the cab. When you used the radio it would leave the dust on your ear after using the radio a lot. We joked and called it radio ear.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk