1st time heading to the rathole...Help!

Started by gradymck, August 01, 2006, 08:03:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gradymck

I live in Asheville,NC and have been trying to get out to the Burnside area of the Rathole for sometime.  Well it looks like this weekend I will finally get there.  I am planning to hit Dalton, GA on Saturday morning and then head north and spend most of Sunday on the Rathole.  Is Saturday or Sunday busier?  I can change around the visit and hit the Rathole 1st.  I should be driving on U.S. 27 from Chat northward to Kentucky.  Any info on scanner channels and signals/Defect Detectors would be greatly appreciated.

cmherndon

Between Saturday and Sunday on the CNO&TP Second District, Saturday is a little busier, although Sunday does see its fair share of traffic. Let's just say that a "slow" day on the CNO&TP is around 40 trains.  Usually the pattern is busy in the morning and late afternoon for southbound traffic.  There will be quite a bit of northbound traffic usually around midday.

US 27 parallels the line between Chattanooga and Kings Mtn. and most places are easily accessible.

Radio channels are as follows...

Road:  AAR 56 (160.950 MHz)
Channel 2:  AAR 09/AAR 48 (160.245/160.830 MHz  Channel 2 is duplex, with the dispatcher talking on Ch. 09 and the train on 48.  Most everything will be broadcast over the road channel.

Detectors:

Junction City, KY (120.8, both mains)
Moreland, KY (128.7, single track)
Kings Mtn., KY (138.9, single track)
Science Hill, KY (151.8, both mains)
Elihu, KY (163.1, single track)
Greenwood, KY (176.8, both mains)
Flat Rock, KY (188.3, single track)
Silerville, TN (201.1, both mains)...this is also the State Line
Pemberton, TN (211.8, both mains)
Glenmary, TN (226.0, both mains)
Pilot Mtn, TN (234.9, both mains)
Lancing, TN (241.8, both mains)
Camp Austin, TN (2513, both mains)

cmherndon

You might also what to check out the following thread.  It has directions to several spots on the CNO&TP.

http://jreb.org/v-web/bulletin/bb/viewtopic.php?t=780

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk