My Yuletide adventures

Started by Matt L, December 30, 2014, 11:07:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt L

I went down to the Elmira area to visit family for Xmas, and also managed to spend some time trackside while was there. I had located a parking garage next to the Southern Tier Mainline on Bing maps about 8 months ago, and finally had the opportunity to check out NS from that vantage point. traffic was slower due to the holiday. However, I did catch a local while I was on the roof of the garage:

The heritage of this bridge is easy to spot:

I also caught mixed freight 13T waiting for the signal to turn green at the east end of the Elmira Yard:

All photos in this post were taken by me Friday 12/26/2014 in the City of Elmira, NY.

Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

Matt L

The following day, I set up near the east end of Gang Mills Yard.

Eastbound 13T switches while westbound 309 waited to enter the yard:

Mixed freight 309 was led by a nice standard cab SD60:

Uncle Peter's SD70m was the trailing unit in the power for 309"

Mixed freight 13T switches on the bridge over the Chemung River:

All photos in this post were taken by me Saturday 12/27/2014 in Gang Mills, NY.   

Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

Matt L

Finally, 13T got under way in the early afternoon, I caught the train heading eastbound past the site of a former Erie RR station:

The former Conrail SD70 standard cab seemed eight at home on this former Conrail line:

All photos in this post were taken by me Saturday 12/27/2014 in the City of Corning, NY.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk