Future double track and EMDX 2012 up close

Started by E.M. Bell, April 06, 2012, 08:57:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

E.M. Bell

This past Sunday (04/01/12) , Carmon and myself went for a little ride down to Burnside (Ky) for a few hours, in hopes that train 58A (with EMDX 2012 leading)  would get out of the yard and head South for Chattanooga before dark. Luck was not with us on that part, but we did get lucky and shoot some roster shots and details of the  2012 and it's unique paint job.

I have shot a lot several EMD demonstrators over the years, but this has the wildest paint job I have ever seen on any of them. The paint almost seems to change colors and shades at different angles, and the EMD logo on the nose was almost like a hologram.

We also shot a couple of freights while waiting around for the 58A to (not) leave. NS is getting ready to start a major double tracking project between CP Woods and CP Grove (South side of Somerset KY to the North Side of Burnside) which is a little over 4 miles. This will help give a little more wiggle room for trains changing crews at Burnside, and hopefully alleviate a lot of delay.

Large, high resolution versions of all of the images can be found at these links.

EMDX 2012 http://www.pbase.com/kd4jsl/shorts12

2nd District of the CNO&TP http://www.pbase.com/kd4jsl/cs2nddistrict12_eb_

NS 111 rolls around the sweeping curve just north of the CP at Grove. That old barn in the background may not survive the double track project.

A good ol" standard cab SD70 leads train 295 along the North arm of Pittman creek, about halfway between Woods and Grove.

After a quick crew change at Burnside, NS 295 struggles to get back to track speed as the climb out of the Cumberland River Valley near Tateville KY. This one escaped the Burnside "Black Hole" unscathed!

Here are a few detail shots of the EMDX 2012 at Burnside, Ky . This should be roaming the NS rails for a few more months, until the order of NS SD70Ace's are delivered from Muncie

E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

florida581

Andrew

nsrlink

EM, great job as always!   8)
You're right:  the colors of that demonstrator do seem to change with the sun / light / angle.

Personally, I wish EMD would move the (damned) hand brake wheel to the long hood on the other side like on the GEs.  Even though it is recessed, you still get your "safety" vest snagged on it.   >:(

E.M. Bell

But Rlink, the vest are the best thing for safety since obstruction banners and air brakes...when wearing one, you are superman..invincible!! Trains will swerve to miss you, and women swoon at the sight of you wearing it..(sarcasm detector should be going off)

I was issued one last year when doing some photo work with the NS in Roanoke, and personally cant stand the things. Nothing worse than a glow in the dark fat guy :)

E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk