Favorite locations

Started by JCagle, September 19, 2007, 11:31:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JCagle

With the fall colors just around the corner I've been getting a list together of places I want to go out and see. I've started compiling my list of places I want to get to for some railfanning this fall. That got me to thinking what would be the top 10 list of places to railfan system wide on NS in the fall colors.

A couple places that come to mind are the Old Fort Loops and Roanoke. Anybody else want to put in their two cents worth and lets compile the best fall railfan spots on the NS System.
Alpha Phi Psi - Tarheel Chapter

stillbre

While not all NS, my to-do list for fall foliage photography this year includes:
- Yadkin Valley
- former Clinchfield
- Old Fort
- Bluefield WV area
I'll also be in the central KY area Oct 12-14 which should be a decent time for some color.
On the NS, I'd say up around Horsehoe curve would be pretty nice.  Should be some pretty nice color in the higher elevations of PA and NY.  Even though its hard to catch a train on the line in good light, the New Line between Asheville and Morristown TN has great potential as well.
Josh Blevins
Charlotte NC

E.M. Bell

ANYWHERE would be a good place right now. Hell, I would even go spend a day at Wilmore...(inside joke) ...

I have been so busy at work the past Two months that I have not had the chance to get out almost at all, and when I have, it has been hit and miss. I am taking care of more properties now and on the road a lot, and Dont see any end to it. When I do get a day out, its gonna be a doosey..i promise you that!
E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

Michael Knight

My favorite spot no longer exists, neither does that time. I guess that is partly why I don't go track side that much.

I will post some pictures illustrating this story when the trees turn. Stay tuned.

JCagle

We will definitely stay tuned. I think we all long for a time gone by in a day long past.

EMB, Hope things are going good with all you have going on outside of work. I know the feeling of having  business booming beyond what can be handled reasonably.

The recommendations  so far have all been good. I'd like to compile a nice list to maybe even have a vote on. As of right now it will be biased because both of us with named recommendations are from the same area. New ideas are more than welcome.

LexRailfan

Word has it that this year might not produce a lot of colour due to the drought, but I hope to explore around Central Kentucky to places I don't normally go.

JCagle

All of my reports on the color seem to indicate that the dryness has had little effect on the color, but the warm temps have delayed the change quite a bit. With some cool weather coming this week the weekend may be nice!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk