Newport, TN, local operations

Started by Jimmie, January 22, 2009, 08:44:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimmie

I was railfanning the "S" line from Newport, TN, to Marshall, NC, yesterday.  (I live just south of Marshall, about 50 miles from Newport).  I know there are several rail  customers in Newport and a logging operation in Del Rio that have active spurs and sidings off the main line, but I have never seen a local working this area, and I have never seen any locomotives staged in Newport that would be used for local runs.

Is there a scheduled local that works this area, and where is it based?  Also, does a local, if there is one, go all the way from Newport to Del Rio, or are logging cars set off and picked by the scheduled manifest freights that pass there (166 and 134 eastbound, 165 and 135 westbound)?

Thanks for the information.

Jimmie Fisher
Jimmie Fisher

billworsham

As far as I know, the Morristown Switcher, based in Morristown, does the local work in Newport.  Industries include Con Agra (plant and warehouse).

There are a couple other indudstries in and north of Newport as well, which are served by the Morristown Switcher.

The local usually works at night, but I am not for sure how many nights a week.

Other members:  Please correct me if I am wrong and/or provide additional information.

Thanks.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk