Traffic density between Old Fort, NC and Asheville, NC

Started by Hoydie17, July 17, 2007, 11:38:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hoydie17

The subject kind of says it all, but I'm thinking about a late August trip down to this line to see what it's all about.  My model railroad club does a layout based on this region in the 1940's, and it would be interesting to see some of the places that inspired that very layout.

About how many trains per 24 hour period are we talking?  Busier at night or daylight?  How about on weekends?  What's the predominant type of traffic? (coal, manifest, intermodal) 

Any locations that I should make a point to definitely visit?

Thanks in advance,

Sean
Α Φ Ψ  -  Old Dominion Chapter

"I'm not only the club president, I'm also a client."

CTT1(SW) Steven P. Daugherty, United States Navy - 1978 to 2007 - KIA, Baghdad, Iraq - You will not be forgotten.

stillbre

Sean,
You're looking at on average 8-10 movements during a 24 hour period.  134 usually gets into Linwood before lunch time so that puts him out of Asheville in the wee hours of the morning.  135 leaves Linwood around 9am and won't get to Asheville until around 4pm.  166 arrives in Asheville from the west between 8-10am but won't usually leave before 4pm.  165 leaves Linwood late evening/middle of the night so might see daylight around Asheville.  There's also a local that runs to Marion and back.  I think its ID is P30.  I believe they also handle helper service from Asheville to Ridgecrest and then provide rear-end braking down the hill to Old Fort usually.  You've also got coal trains and cooresponding empties for power plants in Spencer and Belmont.  Occasional grain trains for Statesville and Barber NC.  About 3 days a week look for 66E/67E the unit woodchip train for Blue Ridge Paper in Canton NC.
Josh Blevins
Charlotte NC

JCagle

If you come be sure to check out the Old Fort loops. If you want I can give you directions of how to get to the area. Andrews geyser is also there at the loops. You if you're coming down 85 you could always chase the s line from Salisbury up there. It will take a little bit longer than taking 40 but highway 70 follows the s line pretty closely and there are some great old bridges that way.
Alpha Phi Psi - Tarheel Chapter

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk