BNSF and older GPs at Danville, KY

Started by Bill Richardson, January 11, 2014, 12:09:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Richardson

This isn't exactly a trip report, but I went more than 30 miles to Danville, KY and happened to make some photos of locomotives.  My wife and I went to Danville Friday to go to a couple of stores. I intended to check for locomotives and took a camera.  I dropped her off at a store, and then went to the train yards by the old station/office bldg.  As soon as I got there, I saw a BNSF locomotive parked, joined with a black and white NS locomotive.  I got out and made several photos.  I made a couple with flash, to see how that would work out.  It caused the reflector material to "light up".  I was using just a small digital camera, so I didn't think the flash would have much effect.  It helped.

Beyond the BNSF, across the tracks, were two older locomotives.  I'm not up on all the model types and designations, but today (Saturday) I did a little checking on the internet.  I thought the older looking one is a GP-7, but found out it is a GP-38-2.  Looks like the older type.  The other one, 3242, is an SD-40-2.  I looked up both locos, individually by number, and found plenty of material on each.  I guess every NS loco has photos on the internet.  I found photos of 3242 with a high hood, before renovation.  There are so many types, variations, and model numbers I don't know how anybody can keep up with it all. They are interesting anyway, and I like to make photos.

I made a few photos of that pair, then drove over to the west side, but couldn't get a good view from there.  Before long, those two units were moved a short distance.  By then, I had driven to the other side of some buildings, and the locomotives had been conveniently moved close to where I was, so I was able to get a few photos.  After about 10 minutes or so, they were moved back.  I think there was some kind of tour going on.  I got some photos, and had an interesting time.  I don't get to Danville often, but checked a couple times before and didn't see anything special.  This day I did.  I'll have to check it again next time.  Following are some photos of the two NS locos mentioned here.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk