an "original" gone, after 114 years the Lancaster and Chester is no more.

Started by Kentucky & Indiana Terminal RR, September 01, 2010, 05:30:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kentucky & Indiana Terminal RR

I read where one of my favorite "original" type railroad has been bought out by the G&O.  The Lancaster and Chester, a emd switcher paradise has been purchased.  I guess in all honesty, of the roaming type railroads, ones that have lines strewn from hell to breakfast all over the United States, the G&O is by far my favorite and only choice to buy the L&C had it been left up to me.  They seem to be very switcher friendly, steam friendly, and very much value heritage and craftsmanship.  I have emailed them on occasion about my favorite of all time swithcer, the former 1002, and theyve always emailed back very promptly and gave any information I had asked for.  I'm not sure what if anything will change much on the L&C with this deal, I didnt like the sound at first, but now that I've considered the other possibilities I'm very thankful that the Corman circus, or Railamerica, or some outfit like those didnt get them.  I would say the G&O would be the only possible chance of still seeing six or seven switchers pulling a train, even though they acquired some gp's already at the L&C anyway.  Ah well, still got the Aberdeen and Rockfish.
"The engineer in the old high cab his gold watch in his hand, looking at the waterglass and letting down the sand, rolling out on the old main line taking up the slack, gone today so they say but tomorrow he'll be back...."

JCagle

I have a contact that is pretty close with the operation down there in Lancaster. He was told what Mr. Claussen that the sale is going to be finalized on November 1.  They will be known as the Lancaster and Chester Railroad. The locomotives will remain blue (which makes sense since they have repainted several in the past couple years. They have no plans to change to black have been made. When the lease on the 4 GMTX leased units expire then they will be replaced with G&O power.

Given the reputation of G&O I would think they wouldn't change things too much on the surface, and it may open up more opportunities for events for the public. Only time will tell.

Many have the idea that this means the L&C will "dissappear", but Claussen is a smart man and successful. I can't think of a line that he has started or bought that has failed. To me it could be the start of the next chapter in the story.
Alpha Phi Psi - Tarheel Chapter

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk