Annual Railfan Weekend

Started by JCagle, August 05, 2009, 01:16:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JCagle

Tweetsie Railroad in Blowing Rock, North Carolina is holding their annual Railfan Weekend September 12th and 13th. The event features both of the park's live steam engines (ETWNC #12 and former WPY  #190). They will also bring out one of the oldest passenger coaches in the US for the weekend. Other events include photo runbys, cab rides, shop tours, and more. The tickets for the two day event are $46. This is the only weekend that they allow guests to walk the right of way. There is also a 5.5% grade which makes for some great audio and video. For more information check out tweetsie.com/specialevents
Alpha Phi Psi - Tarheel Chapter

ssmith1627

Just saw this thread and thought I'd use it to post a question.   Billy and I were coming through Bristol yesterday on the way back from a trip to Roanoke.   We ran in to some guys waiting for 25N to depart Bristol and they were involved with the original "Tweetsie" line.   I don't know much about the history or the change -- I just have vague memories of riding the Tweetsie as a kid.   But apparently Tweetsie today runs on a different line ?   Sounds like these guys have what remains of the original line -- just a couple of miles -- and they pull a couple of passenger cars with a Plymouth. 

Curious to see if anyone knows the rest of that story.  I can't find any detalis online.

Thanks,
Steve

JCagle

What they were referring to is the Doe River Gorge. It is part of the original ETWNC line that ran from Boone to Johnson City. There is a group that works to preserve the line. They are not part of the theme park.

The railroad started as a narrow gauge like and portions near Johnson City were eventually run as a 3 rail operation allowing both standard and narrow gauge.

On a side note the National Narrow Gauge convention is going to be held in Hickory, Nc this year and will feature the operations of the Tweetsie theme park as part of the weekend.
Alpha Phi Psi - Tarheel Chapter

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk