A old fashioned reality check

Started by E.M. Bell, December 11, 2008, 08:01:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

E.M. Bell

For those of you that dont care to read something that has little to nothing to do with the NS, or railroading, hit your back key now.. Thats why we have the lounge here...off topic stuff..

Im not one to usually rant and rave about politics, the economy ect, but I feel a real need to share this. 

I am a manager for a mid-sized company, and in that capacity I am responsible for the hiring, and firing, of employees. I am very lucky that the properties that I oversee tend to have a very low turn over rate with the people that work for me, and I almost consistently  have outstanding employees.  We recently had one of our guys quit, and for the past two days I have been interviewing folks to replace him, lots and lots of folks.  Normally, when we have an opening, we are lucky to have 5 or 10 apply for the position,   but this time I have talked to over 50 people for ONE open slot.

Most of the positions I hire for are out door, dirty, nasty, out in the bad weather go home muddy soaked and cold type jobs. We normally only get younger folks looking for an entry level job to gain job experience and dont mind for working for 8 or 9 dollars and hour.  This is the first time in several months we have hired, and I have been overwhelmed at the number, and diversity of people that are applying.  Young, middle aged, folks from all backgrounds and many that are way over qualified for the position, and almost all are more than willing to take  (in some cases) a severe pay cut just to have a job, and be able to survive. 

When you are in a position like mine,  you are used to hearing the sad stories, the hard cases etc...people that will tell you anything to get the job, only to walk out, not show up a month later. This time, it is different, very very different. I tend to be a very good judge of character, and the majority of the folks I have interviewed the past two days have all had the sad stories, but this time I tend to believe them.  White collar, Blue Collar backgrounds, it doesn't matter, folks that have been outright let go, layed off, furloughed, what ever you want to call it. Folks with families to take care of, mouths to feed and responsibilities to take care. Honest, hard working Americans people that have lost their jobs, and want to , and are willing, to do what ever it takes to make a honest wage at a hard job and provide the best they can.

I'm sitting here tonight with a stack of applications and interview notes, with a responsibility to my employer to pick the best person to the job, and the moral dilemma of knowing that I can only help one person, one family, and the decision needs to be made by morning.     I have done this hundreds of times before, but it has never been this hard.

Ill only say this, with the times we are in now, if you have a job, any job, and feel secure and are making a living, no matter how good or how bad, be thankful.  Things will get better in time, but who knows how long. Be thankful for what you have, and do what it takes to hold on to it through these hard times, and don't forget your those hard working honest folks that, for no reason of their own, no longer have a job and the means to provide.

Im just like anyone else. Some days the last thing in the world I want to do is get up, go out into the cold and face another day at work, but I will bet you this...when I roll out of bed in the morning, I will be thankful I have a job to go to..   
E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

etalcos

You have my complete sympathy.  Hiring and firing is the biggest PIA of running a small business.  We're getting ready to hire again, and I'm not looking forward to it. 

The one that strips my gears is going out to hire a welder and getting all the sob stories about how the union hall doesn't have anything, and they're starving to death.  So I feel sorry for them and give them a job.  My thanks is after giving them the job they begged for and spending much time to get them trained, they go right back to the union as quick as the union has work available.  If you want to work union good for you; I am not their F*****g temp service for when they don't have work for you.  I don't pay as well as they do and my benefits aren't as good as theirs are, however, I don't lay people off (at least we haven't had to in 10 years), and jerk their work schedule around to suit my whim.   

Anyway, off my soapbox now.  Hope I haven't offended anyone -- that wasn't the intent.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk