A new way for the railroads to mess with us

Started by troy12n, November 25, 2007, 12:05:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

troy12n

So I was out taking pictures yesterday (not tresspassing) and CSX called the cops on me. They  come out and say that CSX said I was stealing copper.

I have been harrassed by the cops before, but this is a new angle. They took my tag #, ran my license, and the cops (who were actually pretty good about the whole thing) kept questioning me, saying they have never heard of people interested in trains or railfanning. The seemed genuinely confused. But they went ahead and let me be after a while. I was in shorts and a t-shirt wearing sandals, so I imagine that copper thieves dress a little more appropriate. They also questioned my possession of my scanner, but didnt really press that issue above asking me if I had police frequencies programmed into it. I said no (true), but did not elaborate that I couldnt because they use digital trunking which my scanner cannot do, I figured that would look suspicious.

Anyone else had this angle used on you?

All railfans=copper thieves!

Michael Knight

It is unfortunate that you were subjected to investigation because of an inaccurate report to the police. Although there is nothing wrong with taking pictures and enjoying the hobby within the confines of legality, all must exercise extreme caution while partaking in any activity that is out of society's norm. One must realize, we are living in an era in which prosecutors are able to try and convict people of murder-- without any physical evidence, and in some cases, without a body!  Thus, although, the crime investigated in the above case-- copper theft-- is not nearly as serious as murder, the analogy is similar.  That is why I encourage discretion while pursuing the hobby.

Norm

Be glad that the police came out and did what the taxpayers pay them to do.  It works in your favor--now a couple of more cops when they see you later on will know you aren't up to anything illegal.

I don't know about your area, but around Kentucky copper theft is a huge problem.  Police are obligated to investigate complaints of that type.  They established that you weren't into something you shouldn't be, and you were able to keep railfanning.

You think cops harass you about trains, you should hear what they do to one of their own when they find out he's a railfan/model railroader!!  The guys I work with were like the ones you met, they had never heard of someone who simply enjoys trains, and when they accidentally found out about me I entered a whole new world of ball-breaking.  These days when a train goes by, one of them will usually say something like "Is that engine a TPRB-4068?" or some other combination of letters and numbers off the top of his head, or "hey Norm, you aren't going to jump out of the truck and try to hitch a ride on that train are you?"  Most commonly it's a simple "What's so great about trains? You're wierd." So I just let them think I'm wierd.
Norm

TRNBUF

Do you ever wonder if the engineers and conductors of these trains just don't like us.  Do they think we are stupid and to get us out of their way or to give us a rough time they call the local authorities.  They know what we are doing, they see us along the tracks all the time.  Just a thought....

jcmark4501

Most railroaders call railfans "foamers". Usually when they say "foamer" they say it with some disgust in their voice and a choice four letter word preceeds it.

Michael Knight

To the original poster, it is fortunate that the police acted responsibly in the situation. They investigated a complaint-- which they're obligated to do-- and acted appropriately once it was determined you were not a copper thief.

Many railroaders are enthusiasts; in fact, while many are "closet enthusiasts," many are also open about their interest. While theses employees may not obsess over the number of air-intake vents on a C39-8 locomotive, they have a passion for what they do.

I think the problems rail fans are now facing are two fold: the heightened security ever since 2001 and the fact the many railroaders are young, recent hires who fail to realize that people like trains. Many veteran railroaders remember the by-gone era in which railroads had a prominent presence in society. To the young, new hires-- whose childhood pastime may have been being glued to a television for hours on end playing video games-- people who stand track-side to see a train are weird.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk