Abingdon Footbridge-44 Years Later

Started by Ponce de Leon, March 11, 2013, 07:33:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ponce de Leon

On the chase to photograph 630 on Saturday, I noticed there were quite a few photographers on the pedestrian bridge just east of the depot at Abingdon, VA. I recalled a shot I took there on Sunday, April 20, 1969, when two or three guys were standing on the bridge to see N&W 42, the eastbound Pelican, make its 4:30 PM station stop. Passenger service was in deep decline by then, and 41-42 had been discontinued south of Bristol (on the Southern). A few folks showed up to ride, however, and 42 still carried a Bristol-New York sleeper and full diner. Nocturnal trains 17 and 18, the Birmingham Special, were still operating as well---all the way to and from Birmingham.

The March 9, 2013 shot shows 40 or more photographers lined up like pigeons on that same bridge as the 630 slows to a stop. If the old N&W Pelican got that kind of attention 44 years ago, it would likely still be running today!
Ron Flanary

Trainman24210

Great stuff.  I commented to my wife that everybody and his brother was shooting this thing.  We've had these before but I don't think I ever saw so many shots on the Bristol line posted on RP.  I had to miss it and be content with shortlining here in SC.  I, of course, was :D too young to remember anything that happened 44 years ago!

dschlegel

I always enjoy comparison photos like this, thanks for sharing!

blacksheep

too young to remember 44 years ago? i thought about sayin, "it must be nice" but i changed my mind. it's pretty cool to remember ridin the 17 and 42 most every weekend for a couple years back then. i lived in knoxville and daddy was in chattanooga back then. being a railroaders son was an advantage though.

Ponce de Leon

Quote from: blacksheep on March 16, 2013, 10:01:13 AM
too young to remember 44 years ago? i thought about sayin, "it must be nice" but i changed my mind. it's pretty cool to remember ridin the 17 and 42 most every weekend for a couple years back then. i lived in knoxville and daddy was in chattanooga back then. being a railroaders son was an advantage though.

Indeed! I rode 17 and 18 a few times, and also 41 and 42. Never rode the Tennessean, however (45 and 46), which came off in 1966.

I rode 41 from Washington to Bristol in August 1957. We had three very dirty green Southern F-units leaving Washington around midnight. I recall the crew change at Monroe, where the N&W took over. Sometime after daybreak and after I woke up, we went into a left hand curve and I pressed my nose to the coach window...and saw the flashing roller bearing rods of a J up front (the 604)! That was my only experience being pulled by regular service steam on the N&W---but that event is seared in my memory.
Ron Flanary

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk