Another Friday = another fun day in Alco country!

Started by Matt L, August 01, 2012, 07:30:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt L

Yep, I spent another Friday trackside. Just like my recent trip to Buffalo, this chase featured Alcos... although I will this one was planned. This chase day was spent with the Livonia, Avon & Lakeville RR. I already covered the LA&L in my Empirre Link thread featuring NS's shrtline partners in upstate NY, so I'll this batch of photos will focus on abnything new or different form previous chases.

First of all, LA&L C425 #428 has been painted into the road's traditonal black and yellow livery. She led the local northbound to Genesee Junction.  

Lehigh Station Road:

East River Road:

All photos in this post were taken by me Friday 7/27/2012 in Henrietta, NY. I'm not quite sure why, but the cab roof of #428 is still in gray primer.
Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

Matt L

The CSX local B879 arrived at Genesee Junction to interhcange with the LA&L while I was there.

The LA&L Centuries went up to the Rochester & Southern RR's Brooks Avenue yard to drop off some cars for the R&S to send back to NS. The C425s then returned to Genesee Junction as light power to fetch the cars dropped off by CSX. 

Both photos in this post were taken by me Friday 7/27/2012 in Chili, NY.
Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

Matt L

After a quick shuffle of the cars, the LA&L headed out again. This one of the few places where an Alco fan can see a pair of C425s working together. Number 425 lead the southbound trip.

This was my first time shooting at Brighton-Henrietta Townline Road. The CSX West Shore Bypass runs next to the LA&L here.

It was also my first chase to capture a train at Erie Station Road:

All photos in this post were taken by me Friday 7/27/2012 in Henrietta, NY.

Matt L

This was also first time I saw the LA&L spotting tank cars on the siding for Kraft Foods. If you like Cool Whip, it is made here.

All photos in this post were taken by me Friday 7/27/2012 in Avon, NY.

Matt L

Finally, I ended the day at the LA&L's enginehouse. Alco S2 was already running when I go there... as she was going out to service a few nearby customers.

The LA&L local arrived while I was there. The open cab doors served as air conditioning for the crew.

I also got to check out a couple of rare Alcos, as well. This ex-NYC/PC/CR?NYSW C430 is getting a coating of primer. Soon she will have new colors and a new number. I am unsure if she will stay on the LA&L or be sent to an affiliated shortline. (The LA&L owns the B&H and is the majority shareholder in the WNYP.)

Number 418 is the only survivor of NKP's RS36 fleet. She was built as NKP #866. This Alco is in good hands on the LA&L. The RS36 is a bit of a "utility" engine- she can sub for #72, do the weekend switching in Avon or fill in for one of the Centuries on the trip to Chili. When I last saw her 4 years ago, the old gal was in the shop getting prepped for return to service. Now #418 runs like a champ- not bad for 50 years old!

I also caught a couple more shots of #72 switching Sweeteners Plus before I left, including this one:

All photos in this post were taken by me Friday 7/27/2012 in Lakeville, NY. If you are an Alcophile (like me!), a visit to the Livonia, Avon & Lakeville RR should be in your travel plans. As always, a special thank you goes out to the men and women of the LA&L for their friendliness and professionalism.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk