Favorite rail trip vehicle

Started by Michael Knight, July 13, 2006, 06:17:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Knight

What type of vehicle do you use to go trackside? From a specific model to a general vehicle type, share your favorite.

Mine is my black TRANS-AM. It can take you to places your feet can't, but it sure does like gas! :P

cmherndon

Great idea for a topic!

When I drive, it's a 1989 Toyota Camry.  I like the 40+ mpg that 16-valve, DOHC, four-cylinder gets on the highway with the manual transmission.  It won't go where a 4x4 will go, but for most trips, it's sufficient.  Some folks, who will remain unnamed :lol: refer to my car as a "possessed evil weed eater on crack".  Last check of the odometer reads 312,703.  The clutch was recently replaced, making it good for another 300K.  New brake calipers and rotors were also installed (by myself) two weeks ago.

E.M. Bell

The Herndon said "Some folks, who will remain unnamed Laughing refer to my car as a "possessed evil weed eater on crack". ...

Well, you know..if the shoe fits..

1994 Chevy step side 4x4 here.  The biggest engine GM offered means gallons per mile, not MPG, but as some unnamed person said "big motor, little truck gets you there fast" Fully loaded with radios and other needed items for those Southward deathmarches into the nether reigons of the CNO&TP. The best part...its not a Ford

:D
E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

VirginiaSouthern

My chariot to the tracks...

2000 Dodge Ram, 2WD (gets you just about anywhere if you know how to drive in the conditions)

Oh yeah...and these shots were rejected for being cloudy day/common power.  :lol:

VirginiaSouthern

It most certainly does not have a FAKE hemi.  :roll:  Its actually got the midrange V8 (318).

ccaranna

My favorite railfan vehicle is the only one I have!  My '03 Mazderati Protege 5.  It weighs in with a whopping 2.0L 4-cylinder engine.  Actually, it has respectable peppiness because of it's small size.  My only picture of it is below. (nope, not the dash 9)  It normally has a roof bike rack on it which lately hasn't been getting used.  

I wouldn't mind having an old truck for railfanning.  Nothing big, and nothing real nice.  Something I don't mind tracking dirt into, or getting dirty, scratched, or hit for that matter.  I guess I'm kind of anal about the cleanliness and general repair of my regular car.

Michael Knight

Hoydie17

I'm using a 2005 Chevy Colorado with 4WD.  Has a sunroof, tube steps, and a crew cab.

I also modified it to fit my ATCS radio and an ICOM 208H dual-band radio, as well as an inverter to provide power to my laptop and GPS.  

Railfan assault vehicle!!  I'll see if I can upload some photos to the web somewhere later.  

Sean

[/img]
Α Φ Ψ  -  Old Dominion Chapter

"I'm not only the club president, I'm also a client."

CTT1(SW) Steven P. Daugherty, United States Navy - 1978 to 2007 - KIA, Baghdad, Iraq - You will not be forgotten.

Indiana Railfan

Currently driving a '96 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 with an extended cab. Bought it from the original owner a year or so ago just barely broken in (143,000 miles).
Other than being a bit small with two people, it makes a great railfan vehicle.

JCagle

My railfan ride is an 06 F-150 Super Crew with the 5.4 V8 that seats 4 and their camera gear comfortably. An annonimous person this weekend was even heard saying it was nice because he could sit comfortably in the back. There's enough room in the bed for a couple of tripods when a little bit of extra elevation is needed. I havn't turned it into a rolling radio shack yet, but some scanner modifications are coming soon. There's plenty of room in the bed for a cooler as well.

It's got lots of pep to get up and go when needed, and I've got my Sirius Satellite radio installed for "musical roulette" on super shuffle, or to catch that Buffett concert or football game you're missing on tv.
Alpha Phi Psi - Tarheel Chapter

backyard

8)  Here's a pic of my ride (the Toyota).

I'm seen from Nashville to Harriman Junction, enjoying the old TC, and/or the Norfolk Southern.

NS 2557

My railfan ride is a 2004 Ford F-150.

P.S EM.Bell I see that you have the proper flag on your truck  :lol:   :lol:
You cant spell garbage without GE

CSX = Chemical Spill Xperts

cmherndon

Update...

The aforementioned Toyota Camry I was driving bit the dust a few weeks ago after a connecting rod bearing failed.  After 321,428 miles, though, I'm not complaining.

Here's my new railfan transportation:  1995 Dodge Dakota SLT.  No, it does not have a hemi.

Caleb M. Herndon, KK4CDT
Frankfort, KY
http://www.cmherndon.com

"The human mind is like a railroad freight car; guaranteed to have a certain capacity, but often running empty."

nscnotp1

peachfuzz

Favorite rides...?   ;D

The ones that save my life.

The truck was mine.  This was at Meansville, Georgia in 2000. 

Idiot teenager that had her license for a WEEK, ran the stop sign in front of me.  Happily my winch mount took care of business and I was unhurt.  Did get a face full of airbag however.    The teenager was unhurt as well.

Nikon F5's are tough.  Mine came through this with no damage and I was able to shoot some photos.

Replaced with another Toyota, with an even heavier winch mount on the front!  :P

Khalua10

2006 Ford F-350 4x4 6.8L v10...not very easy on gas but I do have a train horn on it.  Caught 111 coming into Bristol on the way home tonight and drove beside it down the road about 4 miles or so and as the road was about to go away from the track, blew my train horn at them, he gave me 2 short bursts back so i blew at him one more time and he gave the tune like you knock on a door,     blow   blow  blowblowblow    blow   blow   so i gave it back to him...  i dont know i thought it was pretty neat....
My Rail Pictures at
JREB gallery - http://jreb.org/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=9641
Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!
GE
Dustin Grizzle

maersksealand3329

Dont know if this has been started yet, but seeing there is a thread to introduce yourself, I figured I would start a thread so people can see what you drive, aka your ride.  Mine is a 2005 Chevrolet Impala named Silver Bullet. Post your ride pics here.
SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!!!!!!!!!!!
Its My Life :-)
www.facebook.com/railfan1
Skype-michael.fair3

nsgelocos

Mine is a 1985 Chevy pickup. Baby Blue, with extended wheel base. The motor needs a bit of work since it hasn't had a gasket changed since 85'  ::) Overall, it's a great truck, AND it's a stick shift  :P
Aaron Beaubien
University of Kentucky
Mechanical Engineering

mbgphoto79

For the last five years I have been cruising in a 1998 Honda Accord EX VTEC 5spd.  Great car, won't die, 33mpg and it gets around.  Here it is with 213 heading south at Hilltop on the Danville District.  March 1, 2009. 
http://www.flickr.com/photos/12617727@N08/5149312291/

cmherndon

After my son was born last September, I had to sell my truck.  I acquired a 2005 Mazda Tribute 4WD, 3.0L DOHC V-6.  I used to not be fond of Ford products, but after having this one for a year now, I'm very pleased.  So far, it's been my favorite vehicle.

Here's a picture of it at Webb, WV inside of old Tunnel 7.

Caleb M. Herndon, KK4CDT
Frankfort, KY
http://www.cmherndon.com

"The human mind is like a railroad freight car; guaranteed to have a certain capacity, but often running empty."

mkerner

Mine is a 2007 Ford Escape with so many antennas it makes the cops nervous ;Dand a sickle and saw inthe
back for brush work

E.M. Bell

My trusty Chevy 4x4 truck that had served me so well gave up the ghost this spring and blew its motor. I cant complain much, as it has over 300,000 miles on it. I do miss it, but we are now using Carmons car (2004 Toyota Matrix) as our railfanning transportation.

I have it fully radio equipped, and while there are a few places that it wont go, it serves the purpose well. It can get us there fast, rides better, has working AC and heat, and get around 36 MPG..

E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

JCagle

Quote from: JCagle on September 11, 2006, 12:34:42 AM
My railfan ride is an 06 F-150 Super Crew with the 5.4 V8 that seats 4 and their camera gear comfortably. An annonimous person this weekend was even heard saying it was nice because he could sit comfortably in the back. There's enough room in the bed for a couple of tripods when a little bit of extra elevation is needed. I havn't turned it into a rolling radio shack yet, but some scanner modifications are coming soon. There's plenty of room in the bed for a cooler as well.

It's got lots of pep to get up and go when needed, and I've got my Sirius Satellite radio installed for "musical roulette" on super shuffle, or to catch that Buffett concert or football game you're missing on tv.

The truck is still going strong. Over the years I have upgraded to an Mud/snow tire as well as installing a soft tonneau top to keep the cooler, 6 foot ladder, any anything else in the back dry. I've added a power inverter for running my laptop for atcs, and a Kenwood transceiver, magellan gps that shows the tracks in relation to the road, and seat covers to protect the seats from grime.  Sirius has been removed, but I am not rolling with my mp3 collection.

I saw this a while back and immediately thought of EMB. He had more antennas at one point, but this is something I could see him sticking in a car. I think he'd go full size flatscreen though knowing him. http://www.alabamarailfan.com/carpc.php
Alpha Phi Psi - Tarheel Chapter

Matt L

My favorite chase vehicle was a 1992 Saturn SC-1 coupe. She was already old by the time I got her in 2006, but the old girl still had plenty of life left in her engine and transmission... which gave me plenty of acceleration for chases across the countryside in upstate NY and northern PA.

Photo taken by me Monday 7/7/2008 in Fancher, NY, during a chase of the Falls Road.

Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

Matt L

Saturns are also quite good on gas mileage, too... which makes chases rather inexpensive. Sadly, Saturn #1 developed a major problem with her frame and I had to sell her. I miss days like this:

Photo taken by me Saturday 9/15/2007 while chasing the Tioga Central RR in Wellsboro, PA. I am now on Saturn #3, as Saturn #2 developed unexpected engine problems... and there is no SL2m program!
Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk