One tonnage train speed restriction

Started by D300, November 24, 2009, 10:56:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

D300

Local DS was talking to a track foreman this week and he gave a speed restriction that was in effect until one tonnage train passed over the track. I have heard this in the past, and it seems a unique situation only on NS.  I am not certain of this latter fact but based on spending an equal amount of time on CSX I have never heard CSX phrase it this way.

Anyone other know what the logic is and what effect this one tonnage train has on the track that would then raise the speed?

D300

kdewald

A few weeks ago they had a tamper and regulator working here in Georgetown and the trains had a 25 mph limit. I heard the guy running the tamper tell dispatch to run a couple of tons over the tracks. Not sure if this helps.

Beavis

The track man is trying to get the track settled back down before the slow order is lifted.   They will require two tonnage trains (5000 tons or greater) to pass over the worked section before trains can resume track speed.  I'm not sure what type of work requires this though. 

Backyard

8) They are filling & tamping over a mudhole?
Backyard/Allen

NSMoWandS

Yes... Yes we are....   We are upgrading track from slow order 10mph to 25mph... with the money and time spent... one would think we could upgrade to 40mph... but my job is to do and die... not to question why.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk