What do you think?

Started by Long Train Runnin, August 07, 2009, 09:18:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Long Train Runnin

I rail fan whenever I can this was shot in the Knoxville Classification yard. I always feel that my shots arn't worth of being posted, so here I can post them and get some guidance  :) Its better then getting rejected on railpics.net  Thanks so much for your input!

E.M. Bell

Photos are always welcome here. We might nit-pick a little (and sometimes a lot :) but you wont ever get rejected :)

The shot you are asking about is a little dark to me, more so backlit. Always try to shoot with the sun at your back when you can (just watch the shadows..thats the best way of telling the sun position)   A roster shot is a roster shot, the lighting is the key! 

Is that down in City Yard, off the old passenger main?
E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

Long Train Runnin

Quote from: E.M. Bell on August 07, 2009, 09:55:06 PM
Photos are always welcome here. We might nit-pick a little (and sometimes a lot :) but you wont ever get rejected :)

The shot you are asking about is a little dark to me, more so backlit. Always try to shoot with the sun at your back when you can (just watch the shadows..thats the best way of telling the sun position)   A roster shot is a roster shot, the lighting is the key! 

Is that down in City Yard, off the old passenger main?

Thanks :) Yes this shot was taken near the old world fair grounds and the L&N passenger depot. A pretty nice area of town it was my first time in Knoxville.

Long Train Runnin

Quote from: NS Boxcar on August 07, 2009, 09:57:08 PM
Your picture is very random and common..., but these reasons are good in this case. Your picture is of a GP38-2 locomotive, a former Southern unit with a high-hood. This unit may not be around 10 years from now, and you captured a candid shot of it performing in its old age.  Just think; you were able to photograph the unit!

You may want to try to broader your view by finding a different vantage point which allows you to get all of the engine or engines in your shot. For example, standing on top of what I believe is the Broadway viaduct in the picture might have allowed you to have captured more of the train. Once you are able to compose the shots to include more in the image, then you can begin using the lighting to your advantage and avoiding shadows.

Thanks that is the reason I took the picture the way I did. It was a high hood unit which I understand are becoming less common as they age. In addition, this train was moving through the yard, albeit not very fast I ran up ahead of it and waited for the high hood to come into the center I guess if I knew the area better the shot could have been better.

(Sorry to double post I'm used to IP Board and didn't want to mess up the quotes)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk