Main Menu

RP Reject

Started by NS2593, November 29, 2008, 11:40:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NS2593

Had this shot rejected on Railpictures, here's what they rejected it for:
Overprocessed: The photo appears to suffer from either excessive use of a grain removal tool, leading to a washed out oil-painted look, or overuse of the shadow/highlight tool in Photoshop, which can give the image a 'fake' appearance and create halos around darker objects.

I'm satisfied with the shot but I don't understand where that rejection came from, I haven't messed with either the grain removal tool or the shadow/highlight tool. By the way, I appealed this shot on RP and it was also rejected. I'd appreciate any tips on anything I could do to improve this shot in anyway to meet RP standards (if it's even possible). Thanks!  :)

E.M. Bell

I really dont see that rejection myself, and I used to be a RP screener. The only questionable aspects I can see are the shadows on the pilot of the lead motor, and the pole growing out the top. 

I would appeal just for giggles, but if they dont take it, it aint worth loosing any sleep over. Looks fine here at Jreb! 
E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

Michael Knight

I see the blurred, oil-painted  look, but I think it's because the image is fuzzy.

Did you sharpen the image any?

If not, try sharpening the original file.

If you have already sharpened the image, then the picture is too sharp for its resolution; thus, the over processed, oil-painted look.

Unless you want to have fun, I recommend that you don't appeal a rejection, but work on the original file and resubmit instead--preferably at night.

jcmark4501

I'm guessing that's an early morning shot and had the train been 10-15 minutes later, it would have easily been accepted.

NS2593

Quote from: jcmark4501 on December 01, 2008, 08:28:32 PM
I'm guessing that's an early morning shot and had the train been 10-15 minutes later, it would have easily been accepted.
It was actually an afternoon shot about 3:30 in the afternoon. It still would have helped if the train had been earlier, it was actually delayed about 20 minutes by the local turn going east. Thanks again to everyone who has helped out.

TRNBUF

E. M. Bell, why did you quit being a RP screener?

JCagle

Quote from: TRNBUF on December 01, 2008, 10:27:33 PM

Oh boy, if he feels like talking about it we'll all need to get a big tall drink and a comfy chair!

Quote from: NS2593 on November 29, 2008, 11:40:47 PM
Had this shot rejected on Railpictures, here's what they rejected it for:
Overprocessed: The photo appears to suffer from either excessive use of a grain removal tool, leading to a washed out oil-painted look, or overuse of the shadow/highlight tool in Photoshop, which can give the image a 'fake' appearance and create halos around darker objects.

Sometimes you have to just accept that they don't publish some stuff even if it's technically sound. I guess it's their site and their rules so we have to play with them as they are. Just remember they are not the be all end all of rail photography.

Alpha Phi Psi - Tarheel Chapter

NS145

QuoteJust remember they are not the be all end all of rail photography.

Amen!  Unfortunately, they think they are. 
NW: There's No Stopping Us!

E.M. Bell

Quote from: TRNBUF on December 01, 2008, 10:27:33 PM

I just got tired of the double standard for some people, and tired if judging others work by a thin set of rules.
E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

ssmith1627

Like I said in my rant last night.....trying to please them just takes the fun out of this whole thing.   At least for me.

Steve

JCagle

Always remember the most important rule is shoot what you like, because you're the only one that needs to be happy with your shots. I would say if you want to learn what they are looking for then start out by looking at the pictures that make it on and then go out and try to duplicate the same types of things to get started. We'll be glad to offer advice and help where we can.

It can be hard trying to get pictures on there at times, especially when you think about there being many different minds involved in the process at different times of day. One may love it and one may hate it.
Alpha Phi Psi - Tarheel Chapter

Batman

I like that picture ,  can i use that 7661 picture on my web site ?

NS2593

Quote from: Batman on February 06, 2009, 07:17:36 AM

I like that picture ,  can i use that 7661 picture on my web site ?
You can use the picture for your web site if you would like, I have no problem with it. Thank you for asking first.

Batman

thanks could you send me a large copy with the location & your name please ?
your  information will be added to the pic

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk