Main Menu

SD70m-2

Started by RJ, April 16, 2008, 10:16:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RJ

Hi All,

Hi

New on here, and a HUGH Norfolk Southern Fan??.Hopefully I will get a job after I retired from the Fire Department (if I have any thing left hahahah not likely thou ;D)

I am trying to build a SD70m-2 in HO scale?I am looking at getting a RP SD90 Shell and cutting it down to fit on a Athearn SD 70 drive and chasse??

Any ideas? Is there a cab already made?........Not waiting any more for t55?.. Its been to long and the costs keep going up, must be the price of gas too!!!!!!!!!!

I have Scratch built slugs in the past, so I have a little time with putty and files ;D?..

Thanks RJ

RJ

Well I have been doing some research over the last few days, and I think this is what I am going to attempt??

RP shell (SD-90 Phase I ) ?..Athearn SD-70 Drive

The Shell will take a lot of work?..I think the hardest parts will be the cab?.

Ill try to post pic?s as I go along

RJ

Found a great deal on the RPP SD90mac Phase I Shell.......5 Bucks, plus shipping..... Bought 2 just in case!!!! ;D

stillbre

Did they have any other RPP shells?  I need to pick up a few C32-8 shells to kitbash into C39-8s.
Do we know for certain if the SD70M-2 wheelbase is the same as the SD70M?  I seem to recall reading somewhere that the 70M-2 chassis is longer than the 70.
For the cab, Southeastern Prototype Models makes the Phase II cab that you need for the flared-radiator SD70M and 70M-2.  DLH Locomotive Works in Springfield OH is sole supplier of these.  937-629-0321
Josh Blevins
Charlotte NC

RJ

Yeah they had a bunch Of shells.......The Prices had a wide range (the GP40X was like 38 bucks)  But so far they have been great to work with ppw-aline.com

Yeah I'm not sure about the how long the 70m-2 is either But I am going to try to find it to 70 chassis......Its the first one so we will see how it turns out. ???

Thanks for the info..........Do they have a web site or do i need to call them?

ThoroughBreed

Hi, I'm new here too and am a ThoroughBreed-holic.
I too am tired of waiting for T55 to produce the units and came to the same conclusion you did last night about using the RPP SD90MAC shell for scratchbuilding. I had done some research into the flared radiator sections and cabs that you are reffering to and have the contact info for the gentleman you are looking for.

But the radiator sections and cabs he has are for the sd70m tier1 locos, the 2600 early series. Now the cab can be transposed to the m-2's with just minor ignorance of the windshield, but the radiator section is not only wrong length, but not flared enough.
But I guess if your willing to overlook a couple of  small things, no rivet counting, then you should be able to adapt these shells together rather quickly. Now in theory the m-2 and ace should be the same frame, but still shorter than the 90mac.
I know trainworld has the Athearn Genesis sd70m lease units for $49.99, but if we need the mac for the frame size, someone let me where to get them cheap.
Please let me know how yours turns out.
TB8)

ThoroughBreed

Heres technical data for the loco and the 70mac is the closest unit in length:

SD70M-2
(Tier 2 compliant SD70M. Also known as SD70DCe)
Production Span: Late 2004-Present
Amnt. Produced:  58
Length:                  74' 3"
Height:                   15' 11"
Weight:                  407,000 lbs.
Prime mover:       16-cyl 710G3C-EST2
Horsepower:        4,300
Tractive Effort:      113,100 lbs.
Fuel Capacity:      4,900 gallons
Gear Ratio:           
Max Speed:           70 Mph

SD70MAC   *

Production Span: 1993-2004
Amnt. Produced:   1,124
Length:                   74' 0"
Height:                    15' 7.5"
Weight:                   415,000 lbs.
Prime mover:        16-cyl 710G3C   
Horsepower:         4,000 & 4,300
Tractive Effort:       137,000 lbs.
Fuel Capacity:       5,000 gallons
Gear Ratio:            83:16
Max Speed:            70 Mph

this data from http://www.geocities.com/guilford_350/emdsd.html
TB8)

RJ

Thanks Man,

I thought I was the only one out there looking to do this??I saw on Ebay where a guy had cut an 90mac phase II shell down and did a lot of  scratch building to the cab, and they looked Da&% Good (in UP paint).  By just looking at the RPP shells If you cut in the right spots, It looks as if it might work

I have bought 2 Athearn Gen SD70?s for cheep on Ebay and the basis for the model.  The RPP Shells Should be here this week.  I have also ordered a bunch of parts that I think I need (so far)

I think The Cab will be the hardest part??I?m not sure yet if I?m going to try to fix the windshield yet??.Still thinking about that?..But If I?m going to do it, I mine as well do it right???

Also Thanks for the info?.It looks like I am 3 inches off??WOW I think I will be ok with that hahahahahahaha

Yet again thank you for the info?..I will try to post Picture as I go along??.But with work and everything else that is going on, they may be few and far between

RPP shell, SD90MAC Phase II ? 5$   ppwaline.com ( I think? google search it, the guy has been great to work with so far)

ThoroughBreed

You say you are using sd70's for this task, they are proto 2'1" shorter than the 70m-2.
Hmm, I wanna see what yours look like using the sd70's before I commit to which engine type to use, lol.
If it doesnt look out of place, I'll gladly follow your lead, I'm not a real picky rivet counter, but I do want it close as I'm sure you do.
The info I got from the supplier of the radiators and cabs is follows:
QuoteMy webpage is being re-habbed with the photos...the flare
set is $16.95,needing Cannon #1407 grilles to complete
along with the Ath. fans. The cab is the 'porkchop' window
style  like on NS #2600's;UP #4000's, etc. for $26.95.
All orders are plus actual postage,usually less than
$2.00.
Now that means his kits would build these sd70m tier1 types, and the cab is close enought to the tier2 sd70m-2's for me.
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=94483
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=279329
TB8)

RJ

WOW!!!!!!!!!  Started Working on It tonight!!!!!!!!!!!!

Alot Harder then I thought it would be......I just need to remember to take my Time :-\

RJ

I have been working on first of the Sd70m-2?s?.Well it doesn?t look that bad?..If you?re a rivet counter?..Well sorry  ::)?.

Here are a few hints that I have found if someone is trying to build one.

1.   The Cab was much easer then I thought it would be?The windows were cake?.a little putty to make them Square?Good to go
2.   The front of the cab I cut out a piece one each side?..Some more Putty?.and shaping?.Good To go
3.   The Body was a different story?..I think I had the radiator to small?.So the next one will be slightly larger?
4.   The piecing together on the long hood looks ok but has been a pain in the butt?.

Ill try to get some picture on here as soon as possible ;)

ThoroughBreed

Yes, pics please!!
TB8)

RJ

I can figure out how to put a picture on here ???

RJ

Well Im about 80% complete and I think it looks good.....I will take some Pictires this weekend and try to post them

ns_7011

Did you figure out how to post pics on here?
EMD all the way.

RJ

Ok lets see if this works....Sorry about the Picyures, my camera is old.....I will tyr to take better Pictures on Monday

ns_7011

EMD all the way.

darkhorse2

look very good..i dont think anybody will notice the scale shortness...they will be too busy drooling ;)

RJ

Thanks for the replys.......I just finished a High Hood Kato SD40 Today.  Had to take some time away from the 70.......

I hope to start back on the 70 this weekend, With gas so high, I cant afford to do anything  else!!!!!!!! ;D ;D ;D

ns_7011

I know your pain there. Luckily for me I have a hobby shop less than 5 miles away.
EMD all the way.

RJ

The 70-2 is done, as of today ;D.........I like the looks of it, but there are a few things that I will do Different on the next one......

Well i broke down and have started on a ES40.....Donsnt look that bad ;) For a GE ......

When I finish, I will post Picture of both of them......

ThoroughBreed

I have 2 es40dc's, converts from T55 NP units. Only had to paint out the front and rear noses and the striping. Tried to leave the data detail on it.
But I also took an ac4400 and converted it to a es44ac using this website: http://qstation.org/BNSF_GEVO_Model/index.html
It turned out relatively close to my other gevos. I am happy with the results.
TB8)

Hoydie17

Scooterh, he's a JREB member as well, did a remarkable job building a trio of CSX ES44DC's for me. 

We (he) started off by using T55 GEVO's (BNSF versions) and replacing the cabs with a pair of Atlas C40-8W cabs from CSX models.  That way that had the proper side-window configuration, headlights and numberboards were all in the nose as well. 

On the first one (primered unit) we used a KATO C44-9W cab from a CNW model, but they don't fit correctly without extensive building out to the proper width, they're just a hair too narrow.

I'm sure Scooter could provide more constructive technical feedback than I can. . . . but wanted to broach the subject for him.  I attached a couple of photos that he shot after completing the models. 

Sean

Α Φ Ψ  -  Old Dominion Chapter

"I'm not only the club president, I'm also a client."

CTT1(SW) Steven P. Daugherty, United States Navy - 1978 to 2007 - KIA, Baghdad, Iraq - You will not be forgotten.

ns_7011

holy crap those look nice
EMD all the way.

ThoroughBreed

I just got thru kitbashing a SD70M-2 from a SD75I shell, a RPP SD90MAC shell, and a RPP sd60M cab. The cab was actually the easiest part for me. What really is good is the cab came from the sd60m shell, and I took the cab from the 75I kit and put in its place, and it looks alot better.
The shell was the hardest as I took the flared section along with the DB fan section from the 90mac and transposed it to the 75I shell. I still need to build the equipment access on the conductors side of the shell behind the cab, but otherwise its done. I think it looks good. I'm numbering it 2651, with numbers from the OLS GE c40 and emd gp sheet, and the thoroughbred decals from the 87-1225 sheet. I would like to use the cab interior from the 75I kit, but it wont fit inside the 60m cab. Will post pics in a few hrs.
TB8)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk